poa annua

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ProLawns, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of poa annua (annual bluegrass) in fescue lawns.

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Spot treat with glyphosate?

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's growing throughout the lawn. Round-up will leave dead spots everywhere plus it's producing seeds so it will be back next season. A pre-emergent in the fall will block it but that't the same time I will need to overseed with fescue.

4. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

On the golf course we used a liquid product called Trimmit on our Bentgrass greens, to limit Poa. Also, Scotts makes a granular fertilizer for the same purpose, I think it's called TGR High K Fert.
    I'm not sure of the use of either product with Fescue, because I never had to worry about that.
    These products won't "kill" Poa, but will weaken it with repeated apps enough to allow the other grasses to fill in.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob

5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

EGL&L:
    Welcome to the board.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Has anybody removed the poa by core- aerating. Doesn't poa like hard ground??

John

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Prograss (ethofumesate) will kill poa.

8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

How does it react with other cool weather grasses (I have a mixture of fescue/blue/rye)? My own yard is starting to get hit with poa.
    Thanks.
    Mark

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You can sure help prevent some of it by aerating regularly. Poa loves compacted soil.

10. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

It likes a wet soil, too ... there are spots in our (sand) yard that used to be infested with PA, due to the wetness.