1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

POC for lawn irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, Sep 3, 2005.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I could probably find the "right" answer with a little searching, but I'd like some feed back to go with it. For outside tap, what is everyone's prefered setup for connection? And, how do you guys feel about plastic compression fittings like Quest Tee's on copper? This subject came up talking to a code enforcement individual. My question was what they would allow for POC in that district. I have some water districts that insist on copper into the backflow, and I have some that allow PVC. Inspectors question for me was ........"does code allow plastic?". I had to pull over to finish the conversation. Just because uniform code allows something doesn't make it locally OK. I haven't worked anywhere here in KS that will allow anything but copper from meter to the house. Most districts require brass compression tee's w/ locks. Others will allow brass w/o locks. Most are OK with me comming off the brass tee w/ PVC into my DC. I like to use a 1" FA threaded onto the compression tee's threads. Very heavy w/ the thread tape and install the FA first so I can see it seat.

Also, on this subject, I ran across some 1" globe angle valves at a surplus/bargain shop. They had "BK" stamped on them in ink. female inlet w/ union and male outlet. Solid round black plastic handle. Anyone ever seen one of these before? They had a half dozen or so and wanted less than 7 bucks each. I'm thinking about going back.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Everything out here is poly pipe. We use a brass tee, union and two barbs for our connections, and then run brass into the DC.

I've seen copper...twice.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Save your money. Those valves are for radiators.
  4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

everything new here uses 160 poly from meter to house. we tap into that, then galvanized to surface.
    galvanized won't break like pvc if you step on it. we had one older house that had copper, and we used the special coupler, and switched to galvanized from there.
    we use pvc manifolds though. i'm not saying what i am using is right, or the best, but it is what seems to work for us.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ever seen Galvi in the ground after 10 years? Thats why we only use brass.
  6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

copper is the only way to do it.... PVC is not UV resistant and will break down in the sunlight. Copper is forever and once you start using it. You will look way more professional. The back flow preventer IMHO looks like a buck tooth Hillbilly with PVC attached to it.
  7. bicmudpuppy

I'm in a buried DC environment. If Superman and his x-ray vision don't like my PVC, I really don't care.........
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think they use lead pipe in Smallville. Something about meteor rock resistance.
  9. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

I use copper too. PVC looks like a homeowner install. It also gets brittle,being exposed to the elements.
  10. bicmudpuppy

I haven't seen an all copper install since I was in DFW. How do you guys compete? All those solder or compression joints, and the price difference. I average around 1500' of pipe per install, and even if I only used the 200-300' of main as copper, I would probably have to double my install costs.