POC gone wild...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Feb 12, 2007.

1. We cut this beauty out today and replaced the ball valve. It was the #1 shutoff ball valve on a 3/4" Wilkins 950xlt.

wog.jpg

wog2.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Aww man, you photoshopped that. :)

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Nice Form!

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

What beautiful cross-threading. Damn MA's. :)

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't that a 10 degree angle valve!:rolleyes: LOL!

Chris

6. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Do I see a touch of teflon!

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

Just goes to show, put enough wrench on a fitting and it'll hold past warranty!!!

pg

8. PurpHaze

I've stated before that we do have valves and other things in the ground that have held up for many years with MA's attached to them. But, as Jerry and others have stated, this is probably a matter of installation experience and technique of properly fitting the MA to the valve or other item. What I don't like most about MA's are their inherent weak point where the threads meet the bell. It's a crack looking for a time to happen if something like wetness and stress (vehicular, mower, etc.) occur directly to the MA. They just don't hold up at this weak point which is not present in a SCH 80 nipple.

9. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

I don't like using MA's either. I have gotten some that I swear were bad from the factory, I never could get it to thread straight. But I didn't force it - I got a new one. Is there any other options to use instead? I've got a job coming up that I will be using a 2 hp 2 stage pump that has 1-1/4" discharge FNPT, that will require me to use a MA unless someone has a better idea.
    Please share.

10. PurpHaze

Try a SCH 80 TOE (threaded one end) nipple. It'll thread right in on one side and then you just glue onto the other end.