Pods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sethsodsquad, Oct 16, 2004.

1. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

What do you guys do for cleaning up pods (such as Katalpa)? I maintain a property that has a huge Katalpa tree with pods. Every week I show up in the fall there is a carpet of pods and leaves. I have been raking up the pods manually because they aren't sucked up well using my equipment, but then run my mower over the lawn to get the leaves.

I assume most of you have encountered this issue?

Seth

2. sethsodsquad

No one has encountered these pods? Like Locust pods, and katalpa pods?

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I hate those things. I just mow over them and discharge them.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Catalpa trees suck.

5. sethsodsquad

Doesn't that cause problems next spring? Don't you get katalpa or locust trees popping up in the grass?

I was just looking at the Little Wonder HPV which seems awesome because it would be able to pick those up.

Seth

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What height and blade set up are you using? I am not having this problem.

7. sethsodsquad

I don't use a Walker for my business. I have a 21" Hi-Lift Snapper system. The problem that I am having is that there are so many pods that I have to clean up every week it's not efficient to run the mower over them all because it doesn't do a very good job and fills up the bag quite quickly.

I find that raking is more efficient and is easier than running the 21" on the lawn first. Plus - what do you do on cement/hard surfaces, or bark/rocks?

Seth