Poinsettias

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Dec 6, 2001.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Poinsettias
    Not sure where to post this ..since this is may favorite forum ( Landscaping) I will do it here.

I thought I would ask if anyone is interested in any information on Poinsettias...
    If there is any interest I will post about any or all of the following:
    History
    Basic Poinsettia Structure
    Poinsettia Care
    Taking your Poinsettia home
    Purchasing tips
    Re-Flowering

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Kris is it not true that they should be stored in the dark for like three weeks prior to the holiday season and then again in the early spring after cutting them back???

:eek: Thought I heard something along these lines before.

3. kris

from nowhere

kutnkru,

December,
    poinsettia is in full bloom ...so maintain as required

Feb.
    While in a bright window, begin to fert. when new growth appears. Cut stems back to about 20cm (8" for you US guys)

June
    Fert with 15-30-15 every other watering. Repot if necessary. You can move it outside if the temperatures do not fall below 10c.

Late August
    Cut stems back, leaving 3-4 leaves per shoot. Place in a sunny window and water and fert as needed.

Sept. 20th-Dec.1st
    Keep in the light only from 8am-5pm. THE PLANT MUST BE IN TOTAL DARKNESS BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 5PM AND 8AM. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE VERY CLOSELY.

4. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

We grow these things here in our greenhouses. So, it is very entertaining to here the false assumptions most people are under concerning these plants. Kris is pretty much in line but keep in mind poinsettias are a difficult crop to grow to a nice full plant if you don't have a greenhouse. Adequate light is a must.

5. kris

from nowhere

Would you like to clarify that statement? Where was I out of line at all?