Pointers for cutting w/ toro 21" proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 9, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new toro proline 21" and love it. The thing is it cuts weird on some grass types mostly when mulching. It leaves blades uncut in the center of the path. Is there a way to cut with it and what blades are recommened.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I love my proline too! I bet you are mowing just a tad too fast. I have mine in 3rd, and notice when the grass is tall (or cutting some of the wider blade fescues and St. Augustine's) when I lived in Texas, that it would do this. I believe that the cause is the area under the deck is so full of clippings that it effects the quality of the cut. By mowing a little slower, more of the clippings have a chance to get chopped up and drop back down to the turf. Might want to try a gator style blade.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I agree with marko, slow down and use a gator style blade. You can also try removing the plastic triangular kicker plates under the deck, I did that this spring and it cut better and clumped less in the heavy spring growth. Basically it makes the deck deeper leaving more room for the clippings to move around under the deck and leaves a better cut. Just try taking them off for a day and see what happens.

4. S man

Thanks for the advice. But why do they put those kicker things on there? I have used prolines with gator blades and they do cut good. One thing I noticed is that the toro deck does collect A LOT of clippings underneath the deck. And the blade doesn't have enough lift to cut the clippings fast enough. A snapper I had had a "combo" blade and it cut the same way like the toro. So the blade must have something to do with it.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the bbc or the zone start? If zone get a gator blade,mulches awesome.Which engine is on it? Rev those rpms up to 3600.

6. S man

I have the 22176. Kawi w/ zone start. My dealer told me he would take a look at it so it's going tomorrow on my off day.

btw how do those kickers come off?

7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a super recycler on thing that makes it superior to a proline (at least I think) is Personal pace you can slow down or speed up on a dime. Some of my customers have sump pumps and the grass grows very thick but I usually don't have to slow down unless its also wet.

I still would like to try a proline but the super recyclers are awesome. The reg. recyclers aren't so awesome though, I wouldn't buy a regular recycler again.

and another thing, I bought after market blades that look like gators and they keep a sharp edge much longer the the ones that came with the machine.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The kicker plates are attached with three phillips-head screws. They protrude through the deck, screwing into the plastic kickers underneath the deck. To take out the rear one, the belt cover will have to come off so that you can get access to the screw heads.

I took mine out, but for bagging. I use a high-lift blade (Oregon aftermarket blade, to replace the OEM blade) for bagging. But, in the Fall, when I use the mower to mulch leaves, I reinstall the kickers. When you remove the kickers, set them aside, don't throw them away -- you may wish to use them another time.

9. S man

My dealer told me to keep them on if I wanted to mulch and that the "combo" blade that came on it is what to use if I want to bag and mulch at the same time. And that if you do both you have to compromise and not get the full potential of both modes. I think that's crap though after spending over 1000 on this! What if I use the gator w/ kickers? I just want this thing to mulch good and use my snapper to bag.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with him about the kickers,and mulching.We have the Toro proline's with kickers, and Exmark Metro 21's(same mower as the toro minus kickers don't let anybody sh!t you otherwise), no kickers.Mulching heavier grass, the Exmark will sometimes leave excess grass on one side of the mower. As to the blade, a gator will pack the bag as well as the re cycler blade that comes stock, but will mulch a hair better.