Poision Ivy HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I posted this question in another forum but i did not get answer. Hopefully you guys can help. I am working at a job site where there is a ton of poision ivy on the ground and vines over 1 inch climbing up the trees. I have done a search and have not found much info to help other than to buy a goat. I am aware that even spraying a brush killer does not stop the ivys ability to still contaminate me for at least a year after it is dead. I was thinking that i could mow the ground ivy up with the lazer using the mulch kit, then turn the ground using a front loader. What do you think? :dizzy:

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Dig a hole, line it with plastic, put the ivy in it, then cover it in plastic and fill the hole.

John

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How bad do you want poison ivy? lol mulching it up still releases the toxin, you will still get it AND you will have it all over your machine. If it was me, I would just pass on the project!

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i really do not know how to kill it but if you mow it do not touch your blades the oils will be all over them also if it is mowed i think it might grow back because of the roots and the roots and all of the poison Ivy plant has the oil so just be careful when dealing with poison Ivy i got it bad earlier this season

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Got covered in ivy my self just a few weeks ago. Definately pass on that one. Poison ivy is no fun at all.

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Use an axe or a ditch blade to cut the large vines around the trunk of the tree. Of course this will kill anything from the stump up. Use glosphate (Roundup) on the stump and it will go down and kill all or most of all the roots.

Now the little plants on the ground are a different matter. You can mow them and shoot the clippings to an unwanted area or bag them with the mower. But be aware the resin can stay under the deck or any place it touches for as long as a year. WARNING don't try to burn it because you'll spread the oil into vapor droplets which will drift in the air.

For your own protection do this -- the sooner the better. Get in the shower and first of all use rubbing alcohol to break up the resin which is like a glue then soap down and rinse real well.

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Put gasoline all over it, light a match and stand back. LOL :confused:

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

and wear a respirator...don't wanna get that $hit in ur lungs

9. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

poision ivy sucks ass

10. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Then you get it in your lungs.

To bad your not here in SC I would give you a hand. I do not have issues with the stuff. GF does not either but the little thorns break her out. She will not help me in the yard anymore if I go anywere near those little sticker weeds she calls them.