Poison Freaking Ivy sucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 2, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yep today I ran into my worst enemy, so while everyones relaxing I'm sitting hear itching like CRAZY. Its on my hands part of my face as well as my legs. I wen't to the ER cause it was bad, the doctors just took off they wouldn't get near me. The yard was really over grown in the back and now I'm an itchin mess.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sorry to hear that. My brother used to be the same way, now he's not so sensitive to it.

I'm one of the fortunate ones in that it doesn't affect me.

I'm feeling for your itching..........Pass the calamine..........

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to poison ivy, but once in awhile, I get this conditio on my hand and/or sometimes my elbow, where I have a rash of small bumps that really itch. They eventually dry up, but I use ivy dry on them. It's not exactl;y the same as poison ivy or oak, and I still havent been able to find what it is exactly I get into to cause this. I do wish I could pinpoint it down though, so I could avoid it.

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Use this. It helps drys it up. Soak in it for about 30 mins. If you cant make it yourself you can go to a drugstore and buy it. I get it really bad also.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm

Also take some Benadryl and use a spray called "Rhuli". Make sure you get the spray and not the cream so you dont have to touch yourself.

If all else fails scratch the hell out of it till it bleeds and pour bleach on it. I dont reccomend that as it hurts like hell but it does work.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

q-tip and straight clorox, rub deeply

hit with hot hair dryer air for as long as you can stand it.

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I get poison ivy really bad also. I have had good results with Tecnu skin cleanser. This is the next best thing to going to the doctor for steroid packs.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel you're pain, man.. Ditto on what He^^^^ said.. The Tecnu stuff is KING.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Not sure why the doctors would not come near you since it's not contagious.

But anyway, as Precision said hit it with a hair dryer as hot as you can stand it (obviously, try not to burn yourself!). This will relieve the itching for hours.
    You can also run hot water on it in the shower. As hot as you can take the water. My house water doesn't get hot enough, so I've heated up water in a pot to as hot as I could stand it.
    This works just like the hair dryer.

Then use the Ivy Dri to dry it up.

I use to get it REALLY bad, ALL over! I use to cover myself in Calamine, and it never really seemed to be working! I've done all the tricks, Benadryl, oatmeal baths, etc. etc.
    None of them have worked for me as well as the regimen I listed above.

It's important to wash the clothes, gloves, etc. that you were wearing when you got it. Otherwise you'll just keep recontaminating yourself when you touch them.

9. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have poison ivy horribly its all over mean on my back legs arms on top of my hands every where i went to the doctor and they gave me some cream crap that is suppost to help.........well it aint helpin at all i feel you pain (literally)

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

SouthFlo,

I am having trouble believing you. Can you please post some pictures to corroborate your story? :p