Poison Ivy and Various Bug Bite Relief

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ealbertson, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I recently got into some poison ivy and was using medicines with limited relief to take care of it, when my dad suggested running hot water over it. I thought he was messing around, but I tried it anyway and low and behold it works great. All discomfort went away almost immediately. It lasts around six or more hours. Today I noticed poison ivy on a customer and recommended it to her and she said she has been doing it for years. She and her husband also told me it works on bug bites as well. They said pretty much anything that itches. Apparently the hot water draws out whatever it is that causes the itching. The water needs to be hot enought to be uncomfortable but obvously not hot enough to burn you.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, you are correct. When Matt gets poison ivy, he'll stand under a hot shower as hot as he can for as long as he can, and it does offer him some relief.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I must be the odd one out here. Hot water makes poison ivy on me itch mutch worse and the bumps will swell into large welps.

4. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

You're not the only one.

5. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Buy you a large can of GoJo hand cleaner and let the GoJo dry for an hour
    or so, wash off with hot or cold water, GoJo will suck the resin out of your
    skin.

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use hot water to get relief from poison ivy too. From what I have read the reasoning of this method is to burst the blisters . Salt added to a pan of hot water will help the healing process.

But this is only one way to get relief. We are probably going to hear of many methods which work best for the individual who uses it.

Hot water is how I get some relief -- over the counter medications are what I use to help clear the rash up.

Nosmo