1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poison ivy / oak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikal, Jun 22, 2002.

1. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

I knew I would get it this year again but man, I am coverd. It is ironic that I am extreamly allergic to it and I'm in the lawn care buisness. If anyone has recomendations to a good fix please help.
  2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the doctor and get a prescription for steriod tablets. It should start clearing up in a few days, completely gone in a week.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i know this aint gonna light your day up . but after a while some people develope
    strenth against the stuff. i did.
    my sympathies. shees.:(
  4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the steroid shots and they work pretty fast at clearing up a poison ivy rash.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I used to get it REAL BAD when I was a kid...get downwind from it and I was toast!

I went to the doctor and received 4 vaccinations (once a week-4 weeks) and that was the end of that problem. I don't know what it was they gave me but it never was a problem again. Remember, this was back in the 1960's.

To this day (30-something years later) I can get up 'close and personal' with Ivy and Oak..with no ill effects.

Again, remember that this treatment was done back in the 1960's...I'm still waiting to grow another head or develop another eyeball somewhere on my body.... :laugh:
  6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

There have been some lengthy posts here in the past on poison ivy - just do a search. I can recommend one surefire way to reduce the itching - take a really hot shower. The hot water will feel good for a few minutes. This uses up the histamines in the skin and you will not itch again for 6 hours or so. Of course you need to become expert at recognizing it so you can avoid it. I have heard stories of people developing immunity over time. Most of what I have read says the opposite - it gets worse over time. But I seem to have less and less trouble with it.
  7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

put some vinegar on it. it wil dry it up. worked for me twice this year. i also heard bleach works, but it will burn.
  8. Make a solution of two teaspoons ordinary household bleach per one gallon of warm water. Soak the affected part(s) for ten to fifteen minutes. This comes from a dermatologist.
  9. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also heard from my DR. to keep a thing of BAN roll on deoderant in your truck. when you get into poison ivy/oak spread that on you and the minerals in it cancel the effect of the poison ivy/oak.

10. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Rinse the affected areas with the hottest water that you can stand when the itching starts. That should buy you an hour or so of relief.

Dr's are starting to shy away from Steriods accept in instances where it has affected the eyes, genitals, etc.

Got a bad case 2 mths ago, and it looks like I will be at again this week.. did a bed rennovation and it must have been hiding..