poison ivy removal--charge more?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Women's Touch Landscaping, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Women's Touch Landscaping

Women's Touch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Great site!! New in biz, putting together a bid for large-area clean-up, completely overgrown, trash trees, weeds, limbs to remove, etc. Entire area is rife with poison ivy. Owner tried to clean-up himself last year and got severe rash (course he didn't know what he was doing either). From what I have learned on this site it seems $50/per man hour is certainly not out of line for even a simple garden spruce-up. This is gonna be a hot dirty job if we do it, and even with precautions may still get poison ivy.
    Any thoughts on labor price-per-hour? Any suggestions for poison ivy precautions? (Can't just go spray it and kill everything--goal is to clean up so the good stuff looks good again and can have some light and air to grow--rhods, hydrangeas, bleeding hearts, groundcovers, azalaes, etc. Was beautiful in its day I'm sure but now just an overgrown mess. Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've done a couple of jobs similiar to what you're encountering. I bid it at normal manhours and added 30% more for hazardous conditions (poison ivy). I used a product called IvyBlock, which is a lotion you put on exposed skin that may come into contact with PI. It works pretty good, but I still wore long pants and long sleeved shirts just to be on the safe side!
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope your not highly allergic to it. I would definitely also wear some type type of gloves. Is it worth it if you get rash(s) and can't work for a few days or a week?
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to LS. There is not enought $$$ to pay me to mess with poisun ivy. Those hospital trips get real old. I have heard that the ivy block works good according to a lot of folks but for me I avod ivy like the plague! If you do it, like another poster said, charge for handling hazardous material! Persoanly, I had rather handle nuclear waste than poison ivy :D
  5. Bulldog's Lawn Care

Bulldog's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I recently performed a similar job a couple of weeks ago. I did not have to worry so much about any ornamental plants as they were long gone! It took a few minutes short of 4 hours and I got paid $200 for it. The good thing for me is....poison ivy does not bother me at all. I can roll around naked in it and never get a rash! Too bad I live so far away or you could sub-contract me to do the job for you!
  6. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

good luck with the poison ivy. I myself am highly allergic and if the wind blows and there is pi around off to the doctor I go. I did find a wash that works well and the name is ZANFEL if I am correct. I have properties that give me the rash once a month. Finally I found this at CVS it's a bit pricey $44.oo for a 4oz. tube but it sure saves me from the doctor.
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge at least double the going rate for this job. If poison ivy affects you at all, you should wear a Tyvek suit or coveralls, rubber boots and a mask of some sort. You will get very hot wearing this stuff, but it should be better than getting that itchy rash. This is a job that I would probably LIKE someone to lowball me on so I wouldn't have to do it!
  8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i would just spray it like crazy, i ain't touchin it.