Poison ivy removal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Sep 13, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Got a potential new client, has a lot of stuff that needs to be done around the home, likely a lot of dollars billed. He had poison ivy all along a fence row, around 275 feet. His current fert guy sprayed it with roundup (along with everything 5 feet either side of the fence -- another story!), so it's dead. He'd like it removed. Am I right in thinking a tyvek suit is NOT overkill? Or would a good respirator and long gloves do the job? I'm not thinking of the little useless white cardboard ones, I mean a real one with proper filters.

Thoughts?

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

The more protection you use handling Poison Ivy definitely is not overkill. Besides the immediate protection you use for yourself as soon as possible wipe down with rubbing alcohol to loosen up any of the urushiol (the gluey substance) then wash down from head to toes in a shower with soap and water.

Any tools you use to cut or chop with do the same thing. The oil can remain a hazard on them as long as a year

Don't worry about if you look silly to other people with all that protection because you are the one who is gonna itch like hell without it not them.

Nosmo

3. bluediamond

bluediamond LawnSite Member

The oils can actually remain active on Poison Ivy for up to 3 years. Now that it's been "rounded-up" there will be little pieces flying everywhere that you could possibly inhale. Better to be safe than sorry- definitely use some type of breathing protection. Also, don't touch your face for any reason, use a product to wash the oil off of your skin every 1/2 hour (and don't forget to stick to that schedule!). There is also a product named "Ivy Block" that you put on your skin to prevent getting poison ivy. I've never tried it- but heard it's good. Remember that anything you touch- all equipment, your car keys, etc... can get and keep the oil on it. Everything must be washed!
    We just recently did a job like you mentioned (where Round up had been used). We rented a small bobcat for the day and dumped everything in the back of the truck (no handling for most of it!). I pulled out the rest of the little pieces using triple ply latex gloves (make sure you get w/ powder inside or they get really sweaty!). Good luck and charge a lot!!!!!!! -Traci

4. Twigs

Twigs LawnSite Member

If you are like me, you can get near poison ivy (even if it's burning next door). If it was me, I'd see if I could find someone who isn't allergic. If not, I wouldn't do it. I've been laid up (literally) for three weeks with poison ivy "whelts" on my legs and arms. Don't do it!!! It ain't worth the money.

5. eruuska

Here's my tentative plan:

Tyvek suit with hood (remarkably cheap)
    Latex gloves, multiple layers
    Rubber boots
    Good quality respirator
    Eye goggles

Donned thusly, I'll take the dead PI, put it on my tarp-lined trailer, bundle it up, take off the tyvek and latex, stuff them in the tarp, take the whole mess to the dump, and dump it tarp and all.

I plan to quote it based on cost of protective clothing, tarp, dump fee, and labor, plus some extra for the risk.

Any thoughts? Have I forgotten something?

6. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

plus quite a bit for the extra risk..... :)

7. eruuska

You got that right! payup

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Heh, having flashbacks of the movie Outbreak. IMO I think it's a little overkill for poison ivy. Long sleeves, pant, and gloves seem quite sufficient to me. If there was alot flying in the air, I would consider a respirator. We have dealth with poison ivy in many cases, both dead and live and never had any problems. I think I got it decent once, went to the doc and got a shot and cream. :)

9. eruuska

Did you add the medical costs to the bill you gave your customer? Tyvek is cheaper, and if it saves me getting a rash I'm all for it.