Poison Ivy Shot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, May 22, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if any of you guys got the Poison Ivy Vaccination. If so how well does it work? I get poison ivy at least twice a year. I already have it all over my legs right now. I am not into getting shots, but after getting poison Ivy every year if it works I might try it.
  2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of a Poison Ivy Vaccination?

Do local clinics have it? Is it just one shot or a series?
  3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I've never heard of it, but I'd be all over that, seeing that the poison ivy is all over me!
    :blob2: :blob2:
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well, I would have loved to know about this shot earlier this week. Seeing how that I've been covered in p.i. since tuesday. itchy itchy...
  5. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Same...would have loved to know about this shot a few years ago...would have saved me lots of itching.... -.-
  6. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

The shots I get are for AFTER getting poison ivy, etc,. makes it dry up and go away a lot faster, you also take pills after getting the shot. I am allergic to the stuff so I get shots as soon as I know I have it.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I do not know about a Poison Ivy Vaccination but I can tell you there is a shot for Poison Oak (which may be the same thing) but it is not for the prevention of a breakout. Some years back I was helping my next door neighbor cut down a tree. I was using a chainsaw up over my head and the saw dust covered me but I did not thank any thing of it. The next day I was the Elephant Man. I had to have two shots at $20 each for it. The doc said I got it in my blood stream. It came close to killing me me. I was out of work for a month. Lost my job.
  9. Tomprevette

Tomprevette LawnSite Member

Best thing for Poison Ivy is "Methylpred" 4mg in a dosepak available through your physician. I've used this for many years and it's the best, drys itchy areas in a day and usually clears in three days. You can do a generic search on any web engine for the name and get more information. I don't recommend buying this over the web, but it like everything else, is available.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

According to my physician there is no Poison Ivy shot. I posed the question after having Poison Ivy 7 times last year. It was time #6 that sent me to the doctor. No, I'm not a fool, just love the outdoors. Luckily though, I've finally realized how to prevent it from breaking out in most cases by knowing the preliminary stages / feelings / symptoms and acting on it. In fact, funny this topic is up again, because this morning I realized I got it yet again yesterday and am dealing with it now. Hopefully I caught it on time this time because it is on the back of my neck!