Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by djlawn, Sep 7, 2005.

1. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I have been clearing out a lot for a customer and came across what I think is poison ivy. Can anybody tell if that is what it is?[​IMG]

2. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

Sorry forgot to post pics.

poison ivy 2 - laher.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Not to good of view, can you take a better pic of just one plant? If it has three leaves then it is.
    Thanks
    James

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I could not quite tell from the pics either. Just hearing the word "poison ivy" makes me miserable, highly allergic to it.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like PI to me. 3 leaves, shiny, serrated leaves. Good luck, I'm another highly allergic one to that stuff - be careful.

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at picture #1 is all I needed. You've got Poison Ivy at that place.

Nosmo

7. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

that's what I thought. It's the first time I have ever had to work with the stuff. Luckily I was wearing jeans, t-shirt, gloves, and I just happened to have a sweatshirt in the back of the truck that I put on, so I am hoping I won't get it. I sprayed roundup on it so hopefully that will kill it off.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you are not as allergic to it as I am. Just getting close is all it takes for me, I actually can sense when Im close to it! Puts me in the hospital. One plant I would like to see make the extinct list.

9. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

Well it's been 1-2 days since I worked in the stuff so I am hoping that I didn't react to it. I had to clear out a biunch of brush and then boom there it was.

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you don't have it already, you probably won't. Just remember that a person can be immune for years and all of a sudden get it (no more immunity). Treat the stuff carefully and be sure to wash your clothes separately from other laundry AND wash 'em twice (soap both times). The oil can remain active on shoes, shoelaces, etc.. for a year or more.