1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poison ivy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by crankydoug, Nov 5, 2005.

1. crankydoug

crankydoug LawnSite Member

can you tell me the proper way to get rid of poison ivy?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

on YOU, or the plant???

The plant can be killed with non-selective herbicides or even 2-4D. Obviously NOW is not the time since it's lost it's leaves for the fall... If it's the vine type growing up a tree, you can just cut it at the base and that will take care of it. Either way, dormant or not, it can still GET YOU! If you are allergic be careful... If it has to be removed from an area I'd suggest mechanical means, like a tractor loader to scrape it up and dump it elsewhere rather than jumping in and digging it out by hand...
  3. crankydoug

crankydoug LawnSite Member

what is a non select herbacide?
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

non-selective means a chemical that will pretty much kill any plant it contacts, ie round up..

i use round up at the 3% rate for small plants (less then 12") and the 5% rate for everything else (except tree stumps). round up does have a ivy killer it has a yellow lable on it and it works good also, has another chemical mixed with it. anyway you can find it at home depot or walmart, etc.
  5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Nuff said
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Scythe? I thought that was for BURN DOWN only? Does it acutally KILL anything? Is it better than just using glyphosate? I found it to be pretty pricey, just for mixing it WITH glyphosate.
  7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Top kill only , does not kill the roots , it will grow back.
    The best 'cide the ivy is 24d