1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobby perez, Jun 27, 2001.

1. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

does anyone have a cure or relief for poison ivy besides calamine lotion or oatmeal baths
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I read that washing with Epsom salt 3 times a day will dry the sores faster.

Sorry to hear about it.
  3. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

bleach , gas will dry it up , just dont put it on any private parts .
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the bleach. I tried it and it definitely did not work. Best thing that I've found to do for PO is to take a shower. Start out at the regular temp and work it up in temp until it gets as hot as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it. BEWARE! This will cause severe itching at first, for a few seconds. BUT -- you will have relief from itching for 6-8 hours. Best way for me to handle it, and I just let it run its course.

What's happening: the hot water is drawing out the histamine in the irritated area. That's what causes the itching. Once the histamine has been drawn out, it has to build back up again, takes it a while, so you get relief. No drugs, no chemicals. This came out of a home medicine book that my wife got when she was going to pharmacy school. Good luck!!:D
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

when i was sun burn, my bio teacher put alo lotion or something on me, it worked i think, comes from a plant
  6. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry, STS, won't work for ivy. Sunburn blisters definately not the same as poison ivy. Whenever we do a lot clearing, (rarely), the guys smear on something that inhibits the poison oils from getting into your skin before you start the work. I forget what it's called, but I know first hand that it works. As for getting rid of existing poisioning, don't know. Calamine lotion works great after the hot shower thing, helps to dry it up.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive found a product that seems to work pretty well and stop the itching. its called "RHULI GEL". i found it at the local pharmacy after my doctor recommended it. try it, it worked for me.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

a liquid product called "IVY DRY" does very well.

also--as I am hyper alergic to the crap, when I get it bad I have a prescription for "VALISONE".

I don't do jobs where I can grt poison ivey. my customers have been very understanding about this. good luck.

9. script

script LawnSite Member

I found that the Rhuli gel works pretty good too as far as contoling the itch some. I was getting it pretty bad a little over a year ago and finally went to the Dr. for a shot which dried it up pretty fast. Don't know if the shot has anything to do with it or not, but now when I get it, it only lasts for a couple of days and does not spread as badly as it used to.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Saw something in one of my catalogs. It's a pill that you take. The main ingredient is poison ivy oil.
    This reminds me of a story my father told me about my grandfather.
    Said he was terribly allergic to the stuff (as am I!). One day he swallowed some P.I. leaves and was immune ever after.
    I always figured it was just that, a "story".
    But now this product makes me wonder.
    Anyone ever try it?
    I'll have to find that ad to get the name of the stuff.