poison ivy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by workinghorse, Jun 7, 2007.

1. workinghorse

workinghorse LawnSite Member

What is the best remedy?

2. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Try Jewel weed, you can order it online. A friend of mine got it all over his face last year and he noticed big improvements in a few days.

Hope it helps.

3. jvorwald7

jvorwald7 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

calamine lotion. it makes a pink spot where u put it, but it washes off. but it works really good.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You need something that breaks up the oil, and washes it off.

Tough Oil-breaking detergents

One thing some folks mention was that one should shower or bathe with "soap". NO!
    Soap is only marginally effective at solubilizing cresols [actives in PI].

Use some "high end" dish detergent designed to go after oils and greases, like Dawn here in the US.
    Joy would work, too.
    Bathe or shower, and use good quantities of detergent, then rinse thoroughly, the cooler the water temperature, the better the immediate relief, to a point.

Poison Ivy keeps its poison in an oil base that is active in all seasons, dead plant or living, and on any surface touched by the oil. Use detergent to release the oil from clothing, tools and you.

Tougher Oil vs. oil, then oil-breaking detergents.

Note: Watch your footing, your shower floor will get extremely slippery with oil-vs-oil!
    > Might recommend not standing, this below method is likely to be slick as black ice.

Likes dissolve likes. use an oil product such as Johnson's baby or Neutrogena's body bath oil on areas that may have come in contact with Poison ivy. Rub in with a wash cloth while in the shower, repeat then follow up with a liquid or powdered dish washing detergent such as dawn or joy. then flush with plenty of water. This usually works in reducing the amount of resultant rash significantly. Any remaining rash can be soothed by a colloidal oatmeal containing product like Aveeno.

Toughest

GoJo (but watch where you go with this stuff, keep it away from sensitive areas like the eyes and the crotch).
    Then, bathe or shower.

Many other remedies are discussed, but I like the oil-based attack solutions best.
    Source: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/welcome.html

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

After the cleaning to get relief from the swelling and itching try Solarcaine . It contains Aloe Vera . I tried straight Aloe Vera but the Solarcaine works better. I used the Solarcaine when out in public --- Calamine Lotion at home.

Got into a batch earlier in May and had it on both arms and all over my face. Got rid of it using both products in less than a week.

Nosmo

6. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

If i contact poison ivy i usually have to make a trip to the doctor.:walking: None of the lotions work on me. I guess i get a mild allergic reaction to the poison.

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im highly allergic. If I get one spot...it turns out to be ALL over my body.

I take the most violent approach to poison ivy as I have had it at least twice a year in bad cases. I usually scratch it like I shouldn't ...i know i know
    Then take rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab and grace over the open scratched areas. IT will be dry by the next day and quit bothering me. I don't suggest this as most people scar easily & I don't. But this is how I usually deal with it if its in large areas.

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

You can also go to the doctor and get a shot that will reduce swelling in a matter of just hours and will be gone in 2-3 days. Doctor told me to take an antihistamine to help with the itching. I'm not talking about the prevenative shot for poison ivey that you can't get anymore. This is a quick acting medicine.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Be a man and use clorox. It burns like hell but it works and will get rid of it fast (1-2 days) and its cheap.

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, works very well and dry's it up quick. :laugh: