Poison Ivy!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. green-pa

    green-pa LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 730

    I thought I had an imunity against it but Saturday I cut down and removed several bags full of apparently poison Ivy or Poison oak. I felt fine that evening but then next night I started itching and the more I itched the more it broke out over my forearms and lower legs. That didn't bother me too much, but early this morning after scratching my face a little, It's swollen there and feels like my skin is scrunching near my eyes. I can see fine and amm not in any pain. But it feels uncomfortable and I'm wondering how far do u let it go before u see a doc? I'm breathing ok and it only itches mildly so is that a sign that it should go away in a few days? How do u know if it's getting too bad? And any tips on recognizing it?

    Also, will regular round up totally kill it or do u need specialized "ivy killing round up"? And how long 'til it kills it to where it can be handled safely?
     
  2. green-pa

    green-pa LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 730

    Another question: If u itch it, does that spread or make the infection worse?
     
  3. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,466

    Welcome to the club. Go to the doc and get some cream for it. I think it also stays in your system for awhile.:cool2:
     
  4. jknowles4

    jknowles4 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 37

    Poison ivy plants have an oil that contacts your skin and causes a rash. Once the oil is washed off you cannot spread it on other areas of your body. Make sure you wash the clothes you were wearing and clean out your truck and anything else you might have touched (so you don't get it again). Also, don't wait too long to go to the Dr. if you need to. I waited too long a few weeks ago and was miserable. I got a shot from the Dr. and the itching and swelling started to go away in a few hours.
     
  5. green-pa

    green-pa LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 730

    Yeah, but how much did that cost u?
     
  6. Drew Gemma

    Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,511

    technu sp? or ivy block if you know you gonna get in it coat yourself in it then dress and work go home wash everything and you will be good
     
  7. green-pa

    green-pa LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 730

    And where would I find this stuff? Dicks sporting goods or a hardware store?
     
  8. GravyTrain

    GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 375

    I can't speak about the poison ivy, but I can tell you that in arkansas at least, applying any herbicide/pesticide (round-up included) is against regulations. You are required to have a special permit requiring many hours of studying, anywhere from $100-$200 in testing feeds and even after that, they say there is only about a 50% pass rate. In other words...I wouldn't apply the round up unless you have the permit.
     
  9. MeadowsLawnCare

    MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member
    Posts: 192

    Poison ivy wont spread due to itching. You will break out in some spots first, then up to several days later you can break out in other spots. It usually takes 2 weeks to run its course. I had it when i was a little kid all over my face and my mom took me to a private doctor (non ER) and it cost around $150 total. Make sure you wash the clothes and your truck, the oil from the ivy soaks in and that will spread it.
     
  10. Exact Rototilling

    Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,359

    This will probably sound odd but I hear using a hair dryer on the skin affected can help drive out the oil - pat sweaty area with a towel. Someone we know was told this at an ER. Apparently it worked better than the cream. It hurts a bit a first then greatly improves. Repeat if needed.
    :weightlifter:

    YMMV
     

Share This Page