Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rjeffers, Jul 16, 2007.

1. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

Guys,

About a year ago I cleared a bunch of English Ivy from my backyard. Unfortunately, in that same amount of time, I didn't do anything else with it and a bunch of weeds, and other crap, including more english ivy, has popped up in its place.

I noticed the attached weed has cropped up in certain areas as well. Could it be Poison Ivy?

Please help me identify this leaf.

Thank you.
    Rodney

Weed or Poison 1.jpg

Weed or Poison 2.jpg

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

4. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I had an estimate from some guy to clear my back yard and he (the so-called professional) said it was poison ivy. Man I tell you.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it from someone who lives in Poison Ivy country -- you have some Virginia Creeper. It is harmless but if you want to get rid of it use any broadleaf killer with 2,4-D and it will be history.

Nosmo

6. grasswhacker

I'll bet he was going to do it with his bare hands and charge for hazardous material removal. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

Thanks for that info. I spread some round up on it and it didn't hardly phase the leaf. I will use the leaf killer you recommended. Btw, can you recommend a brand?

8. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

Probably. Good thing it was a free estimate. I probably won't go with this guy. Besides, he was late coming to my house too. :nono:

9. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

actually according to a book i have. it says that virginia creeper is the SAME THING as poison oak-5 leaves. its just different names for it. it also says that in the fall toward the winter it does the same thing as poison ivy but during the summer its basically harmless.

10. grasswhacker

Uh, I don't think so:
    http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/dcs420/fa04/fa04087.jpg