Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Floridalandcare, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

What do you do for it , how do you stop the itch .I dont have it but we were removing some vines off a fence and i got a little scared ,Irember it was posted but didnt remember what to do .Any advice would help for future reference .
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

You can get a shot before you get in it. luckly I have never had a problem with it.
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait 7-14 days and the itch will be all gone. LOL:D
  5. Oral Ivy works.
    I used to be hyper-alergic to poison ivy. Oral ivy's reduced my sensitivity to where I can almost smile about it. About like this:rolleyes:
  6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I let it run its course but I do get the itch out. How I do it is I take the hottest shower that I can stand, plus a little more. Start with regular temperature water and heat it up, to avoid scalding. That releases the histamine in the rash caused by the urushiol oil ... I think that's what the oil is called. Now t itchs like mad when you do it and you'll about go crazy for a second or two, but it relieves my itching for 6-8 hours.
  7. Mix two teaspoons ordinary household bleach in a gallon of lukewarm water. Soak the affected area for about fifteen minutes.
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I just had poison Ivy no more than 2 weeks ago. Go to the doctor and see if he can give you a prescription for Prednisone. ALso you can go to the drug store and pick up some Ivarest or Tecnu for the itch and pretection. Also buy some soap that will dry it out like some stuff called Fells Naptha.

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT WASH IT WITH SOAP AND WATER, IT ONLY SPREADS THE OILS. Don't take showers using regular soap use Fells Naptha.
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Or you can just get it enough to no longer be allergic to it. I dont get it anymore and misquito bites go away in about an hr. Im lucky i guess. I think aw marks doesnt get it any more either.
  10. BFreiburger

BFreiburger LawnSite Member

Poison Ivy is a real problem on some of the properties that I maintain. And I got tired of going for the shots.

A product called Zanfel gives me immediate relief at any stage of the infection and is not steriod based. It takes the Urushiol Oil( the toxin) out of your skin.

It cost about $30.00 for a 1 oz tube but it doesn't take much to work. Just put some on the affected area and rub it with a little water, then rinse it out.

They have a Web site, www.zanfel.com and a toll free number 800-401-4002.