Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Cut It Close, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Cut It Close

Cut It Close LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Man, already? It seems like in just the past 2 years or so I get what I'm thinking is Poison Ivy on my arms. Its always after I do mulch and cleanups. But this year I already have it and I can't even figure out how I got it since it's not in bloom yet? I know the vines carry the oils but could be something else like chiggers? It's always my arms never any wheres else on my body. The bumps are usually not red and they never swell up. Just tiny bumps on the underside of my forearms from end of where gloves stop to my sleeve line. Any ideas?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It's just an irritation of your skin from the mulch "dust" and open pores from sweating.

3. Cut It Close

from NJ

Really? never heard of mulch dust irritating skin. Can't imagine what it does to me when breathing it in.

The bumps are kinda red today and also some long lines and clusters of bumps as well.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe there was poison ivy mixed in with the mulch.

I used to get it quite a bit, sort of like juniper "rash".

5. Cut It Close

from NJ

Yes, yes exactly. It's kinda like that but itchy.

6. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

What type of mulch are you applying? Where you wearing a long sleeved shirt?
    I got my first case of poison ivy on my arm from applying pine straw mulch last week. It was only on my left arm where i hold the bale between my hip and arm as I spread it. I knew better and had brought a long sleeve shirt to wear but it was too warm so I took it off. I never saw a green vine in the straw but.....it was a dumb mistake on my part. Long sleeves from now on.

7. Cut It Close

from NJ

Short sleeves when it was warm here in NJ last week. I was putting down black dyed mulch.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I so glad I don't get poison Ivy

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

10. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I'm so lucky to be immune to poison ivy
    Posted via Mobile Device