1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 23, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

man, i got a bad azz case of poison ivy, both arms, legs, one ear, hands, and one spot where, well, i cant imagine how it got there. we were trimming yesterday and today, my man says, "is that poison ivy.?" i said, "yup". he says he cant touch it, i said no problem, i took care of it. it never bothered me before. when we were kids we went fishin in the woods alot, the other guys got it, i never got it. thought i was immune or some thing. well, i got it bad. i actually called the dr from my night job, he told me come right in, now. so i did. he gave me a shot of steriod or something, plus a prescription. any of u guys have problems with poison ivy? ive heard horror stories of people getting it in their mouth, throat, lungs. should i charge the $20 co pay, plus the $20 prescription to the customer? ;) ill sneek it in on the hourly somehow
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

LOL, wouldn't you think that the poisin ivy being there is an act of nature? not the sinister work of the owner?

Sorry that you got the reaction that bad.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea, but it falls under "acts of god", and created an unforseen expense. should be easy enough to cover. add 5 min to every hour, at $1.25 per min, thats $31.25, and jack up the disposal a bit to cover medical expenses and pain and suffering.
  4. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You can be immune to the effects of poison ivy. However this immunity can erode over time if you are constantly exposed. I also never got it when out in the woods, and all the other kids did. 15 years ago, I decided to try just pulling it by hand, and it did not bother me. But a couple of years ago, I got a couple of infected spots after working with some, so I am a lot more careful now. Whether you are immune or susceptable, it pays to take care around it.
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

amen, and good night. have a pleasant tommorow
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

One's body chemistry is constantly changing. Leaves of 3, let it be. I can only imagine how you got it there (thinking about that client hitting on you I bet). If you didn't know it was p.i. charging client okay, knowing what it was & using poor judgement - "If you're stupid - you deserve to suffer". Just MHO.
  8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I use to be amune...Not anymore. I get blisters lookin at it....My help on the other hand can swim in it.

My help can play in it, I'm not goin near it.;)
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I got it last week. I was covered everywhere but my forearms. Thought I wasn't touching it but with my gloves but while pulling out other crap from this mans overgrown natural area, It got all over me (well, between the wrists and elbows. My forarms swole up so bad, that I couldn't bend the wrist and elbow on my right hand. Doctor said it was the worst case he had seen. But the quack didn't give me a shot. 6 day steroid pack is all he would give me. I didn't sleep but about 3 hours in 4 days. Its finally dried up to itchy scaly skin, but I have to find a way to cover my arms in the 95 degree heat. Why don't people want their natural areas taken care of in the winter, when I can cover my arms with something and still be relatively comfortable.
  10. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Here, since I like you here's my $0.02:

Here's a little secret that I stumbled upon based on science. The active compound in poison ivy that makes you itch is called ronsinol or something like that. Anyway, its an oil based compound. So, when you get your hands wet or use water and soap on them, yup, guess what, you spread it even worse, unless you REALLY scrub.

The answer, use regular rubbing alcohol, straight from the bottle with a lot of paper towels, using a new towel for each part of your body so you don't re spread the oil. Do this RIGHT after you get out of the ivy and it will help. However, if you skin is broken or irritated, such as from chaffing of a watch band, wedding ring, etc., you will still probably get it. Then after the alcohol, wash with soap and water.

Try it, it works and it is CHEAP. We pulled poison ivy off a wall that was 10 feet high and 60 feet long, two pickup load, and I got one spot on my wrist where I scraped it along the wall.

Best luck,