poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i need to clear a large area that is infested with poison ivy. perhaps 3-4k of brush, english ivy, and huge poison ivy plants. my plan is" spray the entire area with speedzone at 2 oz per gallon ,one gallon per k. wait 2 weeks, and proceed to remove dead vegitation. at this point will the poison ivy plants still cause us a reaction? is there a better way?

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It will still cause a reaction! The only way to avoid it is to get someone else to do it. Hire a druggie for a day then turn him in to the cops. Do not smoke that stuff.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

This is a better way. :D And no, that ain't me in the pic.

bulldozer.jpg

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard poison ivy will keep it's potency for up to a year, even on dead or dying plants. Found out first hand a number of years ago that it is also just as bad when dormant in the winter.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang skippy, it'll still jack you even after ayear or two, BG. You could put on a chem suit ( sweat your butt off) and that would protect you from it.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This actually works. They eat poision ivy. I say buy a few of them and let them get eating. :laugh:

goat.jpg

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Seriously, timing is everything I think.
    The best time to get rid of the poison ivy is from May to July when the plant's carbohydrates are moving from the leaves to the roots.
    Timing is important, that's when the herbicide will be carried to the roots.
    Whatever you do, don't burn it.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

so,jodi, according to your picture, i should let my mother in law eat it?

9. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby lots of people are not allergic. Any of your guys not allergic?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

no, we are all very allergic. and this stuff is bad looking. leaves big as my hand, with red dots on them. so, i'm doomed? can't do the job?