poison ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Dec 2, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

does poison ivy go dorment in the winter? I have a tree that blew oner and it has poison ivy on it and was wondering. I dont want to mess with it if it does not go dorment.
  2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

3. nater1979

nater1979 LawnSite Member

all the toxins in poison ivy get sucked back into the stems and become even more concentrated during winter. A friend of mine cut a tree down last November and gave no thought to the vine on the tree with no leaves. For almost two weeks he was scrathing his *** off.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

It can get you just as bad in the winter as it can in the summer. I speak from experience. :( Actually, worse case I ever had was after cutting down a bunch of trees in the winter only to realize afterward they were covered with poison ivy vines.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

there is your answer. but just to pile on, the oils that cause the skin irritation are viable for up to 5 years......after the vine dies. :help:

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

but...the good thing about working around poison ivy in the cold is, you can wear long sleeves, and one of those hats, like a ski mask, where there are holes for your eyes. wear goggles, rubber gloves, and duct tape the ends of your sleeves closed