1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poison Oak and Weeds (please read and respond)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Matt Bernatz, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Matt Bernatz

Matt Bernatz LawnSite Member

OK...here's the short story. I just moved into a house on 2+ acres of land. Here are the issues I am looking at and the solutions I hope to get.

1.I have a lot of natural land with weeds on them
    2.I also have a lot of poison oak on the land
    3.There are several large oak trees on the property
    4.It's uneven terrain

Solutions I would like to resolve:
    1.I would liket to get an inexpensive riding piece of equipment to get rid of the weeds, and don't know what to even start looking at
    2.I want to get rid of the poison oak the easiest way possible and not let it come back
    3.I don't want to damage the oak trees

ANY information or opinions you have would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

There is no easy way to get rid of poison oak. Round-up is too weak to kill it there are herbicides out there just for poison oak. You have to spray it, let it die, cut it down and keep doing that for a few years. See poison oak has roots that extend widely in all directions and it can grow a new plant off of any of the roots that are close to the surface. You have to be dedicated and stay on the ball and spray any new plants coming up. This should not hurt the oaks and has not in my experience done so.
    Do not lay your tools on the ground, do not burn it because if you breath in the smoke the poison can get into your lungs and really mess you up big time. Buy Tecnu wash and protectant and wear the protectant(block) when you are working around it and wash yourself and all your tools in the wash afterwards. Sometimes hiring someone who is not allergic to it to do the work is your best bet. Believe me I have had it many times and it is no fun at all.
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I know I guy that was in the hospital a week after burning some poison Ivy.

I have a jasmine bed with poison Ivy and Oak in it and I am not sure what to do for the client.

Lesco rep said round up 1/2 strength several times but I don't think that will kill it.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a large poison ivy/oak vine growing up the side of a tree, take a bow saw and cut out a 6" cross section of the vine. Then take full strength roundup liquid and paint it on the stump (40% or better A.I.). this will kill the roots. If you get resprouting next year, cut again, and repaint. I have never had to do it twice. On this same subject, look out for poison sumac, too. It is a small tree with reddish brown fall foliage in the fall. I pulled some roots out of a plow once-they are orange skinned and milky(and very potent) I won't make that mistake again:hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  5. Matt Bernatz

Matt Bernatz LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information on the poison oak...I'll see what I can do.

Also, any information on what piece of equipment to get for getting rid of all of the weeds?