1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poison Oak!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scooby, Sep 22, 2003.

1. scooby

scooby LawnSite Member

I'm covered in it. Anyone have a home remedy????:confused:
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

do you listen to paul harvey?
  3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Doctor = Prescription

Poison Oak is bad stuff the best/only way is prescription
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that bud. I live with that nasty stuff almost every week of my life. First things first. How long have you been broken out? If less than 24 hours go buy a bottle of Tecnu skin cleanser. Make sure it says "SKIN CLEANSER". I know what it says on the bottle about applying within 8 hours. Use it anyway. For me, it helps to stop the alergic reaction by removing any light residue of the urioil from the skin. After you do that fix a luke warm bath with about 8 cups of 1 minute oat meal and 1/3 Cup salt disolved in it. Sit in it as long as you can stand it. I usually shoot for an hour, and sometimes more. Keep stirring the salt oatmeal mix to keep it from settleing. May seem like a long time, but you'll notice it stops the itching and makes you want to live in the tub. Use the oatmeal and salt daily and it will dry up the blisters in a fraction of the time. Keep a large bottle of CALADRYL with you at all times. Whenever you itch don't scratch. I have scars that look like a shark fin cut me. Just apply the caladryl every time you itch. It will stop the itching within seconds.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Work it
    Yes he can!
    And then run to your doctor and get either a Kenalog shot or prednisone. Trust me 3 days of hel$ or 3 Weeks of it! Its your choice and hey the TEcnu is great if you are on top of it but don't gamble with your skin. once you get it, you will be more suceptible as time goes on.
    Caladryl does provide temporary relief.
  6. kerrazy

kerrazy LawnSite Member

Prednisone--My Dr has given me an open prescription as I usually have it bad about 4-5 times a year....and alway have a few small spots on my arms. Also ask for a prescription of Cortane B (wife got it from her drug rep and works wonders...stops the itch immediatly. If you cant get either of those use Ivy Dry (ask the phamacist its usually behind the counter) or witch hazel.

Good Luck,
    Fellow Sufferer
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry kerrazy. I have tried everything on the market, and Ivy Dry is garbage. I wouldn't use it if it was given to me. I know it has an oatmeal base, but just isn't very effective. I got the oatmeal bath and salt from an old farm lady.

If you go to www.tecnu.com you'll see the product I'm talking about.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That is the stuff, and there is nothing else like it. We just went through this stuff a month ago, and tried everything, even Tecnu but nothing really worked. The Zanfel gave instant relief, and sped things up very quickly. You can get it at drug stores, or Walmart. Walmart was the cheapest. It is not cheap, but the small quantity goes along way. Run, don't walk to get some.

9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted this a few times. Iuse a product called Zanfel. I have been using it for 3years now and it is the only thing i have found that even comes close to working. It is a little expensive and hard to find. However, if you go to their website and do a pharmacy search you'll fin it. www.zanfel.com

sorry, looked it up for you..

Lee's Pharmacy 8738 N. Lamar Blvd, #C 512-835-0200

Try it, you have nothing to loose but the itching!!!!!

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

zanfel thats is i couldnt remember
    the name of it paul harvey
    runs an ad on it all the time
    supposed to be the best there is