1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Poison oak ivy block

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by larryinalabama, Aug 16, 2011.

  1. larryinalabama

    larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 17,001

    Any one try or using this stuff. Im trying it but still seem to get some flair up on me. Anything better?
  2. Mudly

    Mudly LawnSite Member
    Posts: 141

    im pretty much immune to that stuff anymore. use to get it real bad now i can roll around in it. build up your tolerance.

    THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,223

    stuffs a waste of money. Just bring a bottle of dawn dish soap with you in the truck and wash your arms/legs/face/whatever you think came in contact with poison ivy.

    You get a rash from the oils on the leaves, As you know dawn is famous for cutting oil, hence the reason the use it on animals during oil spills. Dawn works the best out of anything i have ever tried.
  4. rlitman

    rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,552

    Dawn is good stuff, but lye soap is more often recommended for poison ivy.
    Oh, and alcohol will dissolve the oil, but don't just use an alcohol wipe. That can just spread it around. You need to fully wash with soap, and then douse yourself with rubbing alcohol (kind of like a rinse).
  5. Darryl G

    Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,033

    Not sure I'd douse myself with rubbing alcohol due to inhalation toxicity and flammability. If you are going to, do it in a well ventilated area away from all sources of ignition!
  6. rlitman

    rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,552

    I didn't say to breathe the fumes, but if you're concerned, you can get ethyl rubbing alcohol.
    Yes, you don't want to do this around an open flame. I assumed that went without saying, but some people . . .
  7. Darryl G

    Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,033

    Well you didn't say to hold your breath either :p

    In general, I think it's probably best to avoid liberally dousing oneself with flammable toxic liquids. Even ethanol is toxic by inhalation and can also be absorbed through the skin :hammerhead:

    There are wipes that can be purchased at your local drugstore for cleansing after exposure to poison ivy/oak, but they're not cheap.

    I think you are giving poor advice considering that there are safer alternatives available.
  8. rlitman

    rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,552

    You're stretching the definition of toxic to the breaking point there.
    Salt is toxic if you consume enough, as is water, and oxygen toxicity is well studied. I do not believe you can receive a toxic dose of ethanol through either skin absorption or inhalation (ok, breathe in enough, and it can knock you out, but that's still not "toxic").

    More importantly, alcohol is the main ingredient in most hand sanitizers. Think Purel. Their instructions are to apply to the skin, rub in, and wait until it evaporates. If it's safe enough to market that way, then it's safe enough for me. Oh, and why do you think they call it RUBBING alcohol anyway? Sheesh.

    Now, here's someone else's take on the subject:

    Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
    If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):

    first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
    next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
    now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
    lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.
  9. Darryl G

    Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,033

    Not stretching anything. I know plenty about toxicity being an environmental scientist, having taken a graduate level toxicology class and having worked on countless hazardous waste sites, on many of them as the designated health and safety officer. It was recommended to "douse" yourself with isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol). Not a good idea in my opinion. It is the dousing that I have a problem with, largely due to the inhalation hazard and flammability concerns. I believe I have already stated that. Sanitizing your hands or wiping affected areas is a bit different than dousing yourself in the stuff. Agreed? And if something causes a central nervous system reaction that knocks you out it's toxic! Are you serious? Really? If something knocks you out it's not toxic???? I'm really glad you decided not to enter the medical profession, lol.

    Here's the MSDS for isoproyl alcohol: Lab MSDS/Fisher/Isopropanol(MSDS).htm
  10. Darryl G

    Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,033

    Just to clarify. Typical off-the-shelf rubbing alcohol is isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). To confuse matters, you can also get rubbing alcohol made from ethanol (ethyl alcohol), which is the same ingredient in alcoholic beverages that causes intoxication. Intoxication is a result of being posioned essentially. Both forms of rubbing alcohol are flammable and both are toxic by inhalation, therefore I would not recommend bathing oneself in either of them. My original post merely pointed out that there are flammabilty and inhalation toxicity concerns with DOUSING yourself in rubbing alcohol, as recommended by someone. Is there really an arguement here?

Share This Page