Poison Oak, Ivy, etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brad Davis, May 18, 2004.

1. Brad Davis

Brad Davis LawnSite Member

I am submitting a bid to an apartment complex to clean up a lot of brush and undergrowth from behind all their buildings. There is a lot of poison oak that I WILL come in contact with. Is there anything I can do, other than just covering up from head to toe, to avoid getting a rash? The main way I plan to clear most of the brush is with a trimmer and a brush cutting mower. Thanks!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would kill it completely off first by spraying it.

3. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Try going to your local Walgreens, CVS, Eckerds, or the like and look for a product called Technu. I couldnt live without it. You can put it on before you work and it lasts for up to 8 hours. Also, if you think you have come in contact with Ivy, Oak, etc. you can put some on and then wipe it off and it will take the oils with it.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Tiedeman, spray it first, also if you can, use long sleeves and change your clothing as soon as possible after you're done.

5. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Also to add, when you put Technu on, it lasts for 8 hours protecting you against exposure.

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i use nothing but i use phels nappus or something like that its a laundry soap that removes the oils and it is in a bar...

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I'll vouch for Technu, it will knock the itch right down if you apply before the rash spreads everywhere.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Wait till it goes dormant. I cleared an acre of brush with poison oak and ivy just before spring hit. The customer was so pleased that she asked if we would clear the rest and after having to send a guy to the emergency room, I would not do it and explained this to her and she was happy to wait.

Whatever your price multiply it times three for the leaves of three leave them be.

10. Brad Davis

Brad Davis LawnSite Member

I will definately reflect the poison ivy in my quote. I also read there may be a vaccine I could take before I do the job. Have any of you heard of this? Otherwise, the Technu and spraying will have to do. Thanks folks!