1. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I have poison so bad right now I can't work. I'm not trying to be a, but it's seriously on about 90% of my body. The heat makes it bubble into an unbearable itchy anguish. My forearms are so swollen they look like popeye arms. My eyes are swollen half shut.

My question is, what can you do if you know you are about to encounter poison? Are there shots to prevent this?
  2. This stuff works.

It's a cure and a preventative. After a couple of years you're no longer alergic.
  3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

That's a bummer. My wife is highly allergic to it as well. Me, it is only a minor inconvenience, if I get it at all.

My wife takes a shot, which helps cure more quickly. However, I was told by someone the other day, that the shot is temporarily unavailable, something to do with a problem at the manufacturing facility, but I don't know this to be a fact. I'd call my doc and inquire.

Also, there is a distinct possibility of developing impetigo (staph infection) from scratching, especially with the heat. I did when I had poison in mid-summer many years ago. I'd recommend seeing a doctor, if only for that reason.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you need to go to the doc and get a shot of steriods and a follow up script.
  5. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

I guess I'm going to go ASAP. I'm one to wing things out, but this isn't going away by itself.

That OralIVY can make you immune to it over time?
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i had it that bad once too-go to er or dr and get the shot and pills-steriods
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's tuff. Hope you didn't get it on your nads.
    I know you did! ha ha ha
    I'm sorry, I had to say that!
    But seriously though, I've gotten to where it doesen't really bother me much any more. I haven't done anything special or taken anything. I do get it but, it doesn't seem to spread anywhere.
  8. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

Actually, my wife doesn't get poison, soo...........keine nut verloren.:cool2:

I'm going to get that shot I hear about, but what about Future prevention?

I don't know if this topic has been discussed a million times, but if it hasn't, now is a good time!
  9. Not so much immune but at least not hyper-alergic. That's where I was. I had to go to the doctor every time I caught it. I'd get huge blisters, skin would come off in sheets. The more you contract poison ivy, the more alergic you become. I thought I'd have to quit mowing. I tried every remedy available.
    Tried the Oral Ivy and threw all the other crap away.

My son and I cleared out a big patch of brush filled with poison ivy this year. He got one little itchy dot. I got nothing. Before Oral Ivy we'd both been in the hospital.

It works, it's cheap. $13 ??
    Go to the website. They'll rush ship it to you for a fee.

READ THE DIRECTIONS. There are special dosage rates if you already have it.

Cortizone shots are faster if you can't wait for shipping. I must have had 50 cortizone shots. Oral Ivy gets you back to work about as fast if you have some on hand. I have a half a vial I'd give you. I don't need to take it anymore. But for about 3 years I took a couple of drops every day.
  10. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

Thanks so much for the response. I've ordered some now for preventitive measures in the future, but I need to get back to work so I'll get whacked for the shots and pills.

That's exactly what I was doing, pulling weeds at a house that's been bed neglected for quite some time. I was going through a bush pulling out the common weeds that grow through them and touched one of those vines. I've had poison in a mild degree pretty much throughout the year from one particular job where the lady has it mixed in with normal ivy on a fence. Simply walking with a walkbehind and doing a pass near it gets me everytime. But whatever the hell I touched, it got me real bad. I'm going to give that stuff a try and see if it stops the weekly minor occurence. Thanks again:clapping: