Poker buddy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greensway, Jun 17, 2004.

1. greensway

greensway LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Have a poker buddy that I've been playing with just a few months and not quite sure what he did for a living.
    A friend of mine that knew him for years tells me that this fellow is looking for a landscaper, he just built 2 buildings in town and needs the initial install.

Immediately I'm on it and we start talking, he gives me the address of the properties and I could'nt get a budget range out of him.. just wing it. I'll give you the work.
    I made up a nice design and even took a picture and placed the design it.
    We got together and he tells me well I just needed something for the city to show them what I'll be doing since they have a $5,000 deposit of mine to ensure the work gets done, but I have another bid fromABC Landscaping that if you can beat the price on and do the work it's yours.

This is your time , energy and effort to put this together for this man, and I just took it from you and when you drive by I'll wave to youABC Landscaping.

I have been pretty upset about this that I was played by him, I'm used to it happening from complete strangers.
    Guess I'll have him as my target in the game tonight:cool:
  2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a complete gem bobby would come across! :D

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what he did? Gave you bid to ABC or already had a bid and just got a 2nd one from you. Or did he give ABC's bid to you and said beat it. Which is it?
    It sounds like he gave you the job. Why are you upset?
  4. greensway

greensway LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Sorry I wasn't more clear on this,
    He just had a simple list of items from this other guy, and nothing to show the city.
    So he takes my design (photo of property with installed bed and plants, fixed lawn) to show the city.
    The other guy will do it, don't know if it will be my design or not, but this fellow could not provide a proper design and I got sucked into it.
    I was not informed there was any other "bid" until after I gave him mine, then told if I beat this guy using his Ideas and plant list I would have the job.
    Basically I got slicked into making something nice to show the city.

I'm upset that he didn't just come out and ask me to do him a favor and make a quick design, instead of going under the guise of "I have a job that I want YOU to do.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I can relate to what you are going through with the bid process. Back when i use to sell copiers, people were always trying beat down the poor copier rep.They would say xyz company is cheaper.

So we started say well just what did the show you, tell us all about it. They would say every thing they could just looking for a deal.This would go on and on untill we said break out what they gave you and let's lookat it.

Once it was on the table then the fun started. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin