Polariod or Digital camera ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Earthscapes, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

What kind of camera's are you guys using ?? I'm thinking about spending the extra cash on a digital. Just wondering what everybody else uses.
  2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We use a digital. No film no headaches.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

Why buy a $900 dig. cam. Buy a $100 scanner that way you can have the a poloroid portfolio and if you need to save to disk, you just scan it in. You can use either, I would rather save the money.
  5. KirbysLawn

Really. I can take 800 digital photos, stored on CD's for $20, how much would 800 photos cost with a Polaroid??? Digital cameras can be bought from $100 and up. Digital gives you much more flexability, better photos, more printing options, and more.

I have taken over 400 photos with my digital camera, with a Polorid you would have spent almost $400 on film, I can take another 400 photos and not spend another penny!

Would a scanned Polaroid look anything like this?

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 03-02-2001 at 05:41 AM]
  6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We use digital. Polaroid quality is not usable for much more than basic site info. Digital is better and much more usuable. Works fine for many applications including design software programs. If you want really good quality for your portfolio and advertising purposes, go with 35mm or hire a professional with a large format camera. So end use drives the decision.
  7. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

how do you show them to your potential clients. I hope you use photo paper and have a very nice printer. Photo paper is rather expensive as well. Maybe I'm not a techno freak but I would rather do with what I have than spend the extra $ on a over-priced camera. You can save them to disk all you want, but you still need a quallity print to show potentials. With only roughly %50 of households having a p.c. I think that you are limiting your market by exactly that unless you have a quality print.
  8. KirbysLawn

By the way jjfehr, welcome to LawnSite.com!!

What do I do for prints, Camera World & Wolf Camera to name a few. Take CD or disc with photos, place in computer in store, walk out with all the prints you want in any size you wish. 5x7, 8x10, wallet or whatever.

Not wanting to argue but you asked "why buy digital", I'm trying to answer. Spend money on film with ok results or spend money on a camera and save on film, print what you want.

Another GREAT thing about digital is if you see something you want to photograph, take it, have a look and see if it's ok, if not take another. When you're done delete the photos you don't want and keep shooting. Each photo does not cost like a Polaroid.

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 03-02-2001 at 06:05 AM]
  9. BillW

BillW LawnSite Member

In the long run you will save $ and not be overly cautious about taking a slew of picts so that you get to pick the best views. And your customers will likely assume you are 'up to date'
  10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I use digital and 35mm. I use digital for initial customer consultations, and for most other various stuff. But when it comes to photos that I want to be in our portfolio, I go with 35mm. Not even the $3K cameras can give you the resolution a good 35mm camera can.