Pole Hedge Clippers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Jun 15, 2004.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

Looking to buy some hedge trimmers really soon. Been looking around at various brands including echo, stihl, and redmax. Not until someone on this site mentioned something about hegle clippers on a pole did i really start looking into them. What a great idea. Exhaust not in your face, you have some reach for tall bushes without the use of a ladder, and your back isn't killing you at the end of the day. So what do you guys think.

If i was to purchase some on a pole, do you think it is necessary to also have some regular ones?? What brands and models numbers do you own?? And finally is the articulating gear either 90 deg or 180 worth the extra money??

Thanks for you help...

2. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

i have shindawa trimmers. one is on my multi-tool as an attachment, (articulated is the only way to go) the other is 2-sided cutter commercial model, love them both. just bought the attachment for the multi-tool and do not know how i did it before!! i do think there is a place for having both though.hope this helps.
  3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

All my trimmers are Stihl and they work great. An idea for you is to buy a stihl trimmer for about $350 and then buy the articulating hedge attachment (yes its worth it) That way you have a great trimmer and pole hedge trimmer as well. The hedge trimmer attachment is about $175.

Dont kid yourself though the pole trimmer still gets heavy after a little while...

Whatever hand held you buy go for double sided blades and at least a 24 inch bar.
  4. i have sthil extended length or pole trimmers as you say ..fs100 4 mix ....great power...the advantage to the extended length is you dont have to bend up and down as much ...easier on the back ..makes for a less tiresome day to.
  5. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Articulators have more moving parts to wear (faster) and quite a bit more corresponding weight.

I had a couple of pair of Articulators, but switched as soon as I could to fixed cutters. (I'm thinking I liek the Stihl or Shindaiwa's best)

I kept a set of articulating Echo trimmer-on-a-stick for any crew to grab if they wanted to do bank work at lakes or cutting back over growth from an undeveloped adjacent property. Basically hand held sickle bars.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I recently bought some Stihl hs 45's. They will cut through stuff 3/4 of an inch thick. You can get a 18" or 24" bar, depending on your needs. The pole mounted trimmers sound like a good idea if you have to trim shrubs/hedges that are relatively high. Fortunately, all of my trimming is chest high and lower, so I have no need for pole trimmers.
  7. i use the extended for all of em ...they are much better then the chain saw type ...i use to think i didnt nedd them to ...after a few 12 hour days trimming bushes i love em now .
  8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the articulated attachment for my Stihl Kombi tool. It works very well for larger hedges, but is awkward for small ones or touchup trimming. I ended up buying an HS45 with 18" bar for the smaller stuff. It seems to have better blades than the pole attachment.
  9. this is what we use on the smaller ones ..less bending the back ..also have some with longer shafts ..echo and sthil . .
  10. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone else have any comments on hedge trimmers or pole trimmers. Sounds to me that Stihl has a great product when it comes to trimmers. All of my other equipment is stihl so i guess i should keep it that way. Anyone own echo, how do you like it???