Pole hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowZ06, May 13, 2010.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What is everyone using ?

2. 1whitetail

1whitetail LawnSite Member
    from florida

Stihl fs 85 Kombi with articulating hedge trimmer.

3. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

STIHL for all handhelds

4. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Shindaiwa M242 with an attachment.

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Shindaiwa M242 with short reach articulate hedge attachment. Retired my Echo HC151.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Standard Stihl Fs85 string trimmer with the HT attachment.

7. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

kombi standard hedge trimmer attachment. i've seen guys with articulating hedge trimmers who'd rather stand on their toes to get the top of the tall holly rather than stop to articulate. however, there are times when I would stop to articulate but always manage even if i have to get out a ladder or contort to get the right angle in tight spot. you don't need a lot of power to trim hedges though i'm sure a shindaiwa would sound nice -- even with big branches which you don't need lopers or hand saw to cut, it is more about giving it a tap with a blade. the most important things are low weight, good balance, quality of cam and blades, and direction of the exhaust when it comes to hedge trimming (thinking of that old handheld consumer troy-bilt)

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Alan0354

I wish Shindaiwa make a 3' extension pole. I am trying to buy the coupler unit and use the shaft from the string trimmer attachment and make an extension. I tried it and it work, problem is I need one more coupler. I can only find all the little parts to build the coupler, not the whole unit. That will cost me $84 to get all the parts to build one. With that I can have the long reach hedge trimmer also. Just today, I can't reach part of the stuff I need to trim without something to stand on.

You don't need a big engine for hedge trimmer. Just today I cut a branch with the M242 that is about 1 1/2". Took me a little while but not slowing the engine down at all.

9. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i think i would prefer a short reach for tight corners. an extension would be nice for deep hedges with articulation for tall hedges.

1.5" would be tough on lopers. i used the razor tooth saw on a 2" branch today. i find the key is to tap it quickly a couple of times at higher throttle so you don't jam the branch in the blades.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  10. Alan0354

that's what I have, a short reach, that's why I am trying to make an extension.

On the side note, the shindaiwa blade sure cuts better than the Echo HC151. Maybe my Echo is the cheapest lower model and it's not the newer chrome blades. Shindaiwa just cut quicker and smoother.