Pole hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Aug 6, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I am in need of a new hedge trimmer and was considering a pole style. I was thinking a husqvarna split shaft, that way i could use it as a backup trimmer as well. I have never used one and was wondering what the pros/ cons are. Are they more comfortable to use? Does anyone use the husky?
    Thanks

Scott

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Redmax Trimmer BC225 for about $300 and the Long-reach trimmer attachment (LRTA) for $250.

The beauty of it is that it isn't one of those quick-click things. You have an actually high quality trimmer that will last 10 years that will quickly (1-2 minutes) convert to hedge trimmer with only a hex wrench.

Same price as if you bought just the hedge trimmer. It's like getting a free string trimmer.

Ken

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, but how do you trim normal shrubs with something thats about 7 feet long???? Just because someone wants a pole trimmer doesn't automatically mean you want a 7 foot monster, does it???? Even if you do only hedges, that big trimmer head hanging off of a 60" shaft gets mighty heavy real fast............

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have an echo extended trimmer. Only echo i own. It does a great job for me, plenty of power and not too heavy. Its lasted about 6 years now, and still works good, and has been used daily for that time.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have the Echo too plus a standard two side Robin and love them both. But if you need a long hedge trimmer I have one you may like. I have a Power Pruner chainsaw and purchased a hedge trimmer attachment. Goes to over 15 feet extended. Little off balanced but it works great for tall stuff you don't want to get a ladder for. Not unusual for me to use the Echo up to about 10' and then the Power Pruner up to about 16'.

6. Doc Pete

Ok....... so do you need a Hedge trimmer for normal shrubs, and higher stuff too, or do want a big long trimmer like everyone is suggesting.....

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

the Husky is a very nice unit, I bought a 326H75 hedge Trimmer at the begining of the season. Nice engine, handle tilts, great anti vibe, and would definatly recommend one of their pole trimmers.

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the posts guys. I am tired of using my hand held trimmer. I find myself leaning into the bushes a lot and over my head to reach areas. I thought that a pole trimmer, not a really long one, would suit my needs. The husky string trimmer with hedge trimmer attachment runs around $500. I think this is what I'll try.

9. Doc Pete

I'd check the length on the unit because the ones I've seen are too long for normal work. Ya know if you have a fair amount of trimming to do, buy the right unit for the right job, IOW, a dedicated "mid size unit".
    Now, keep in mind you "MAY" be able to cut the housing and shaft of the hedge trimmer attachment for a shorter length. We've done this on Marayama (spelling?) and Echo products.
    It's simple enough and this way you get the right length instead of a really long setup.

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking at the add on attachment for my Stihl 85. Does anyone use or have used one and how do or did you like it?