Pole Pruners: Stihl, Shindaiwa, Husqvarna.......

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnSmith, Jul 21, 2003.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking into getting a new(er) pole pruner and i like the stihl, shindaiwa(which i currently run all shin stuff) and the husky. they each have their advantages but my main concern is price it seems.

for some reason the shindaiwa p230 and husky are $499 and $479 while the HT70 stihl is $389. in my eyes, these units are all in the same "market" and are quite comparable. why is it then, that the stihl is some $100 less?

someone shed some light on this for me?
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl is running a sale !!!
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not the original Echo Power Pruner???????????
  4. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i hate to say it but even if echo is the better product, i wont buy echo anymore.

if it came down to getting a telescoping pruner, i would just get the stihl.

i am looking for input on the fixed units as these wont be used every day and for taller trees i have guys that like to climb, lol.
  5. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl. I have rented the fixed unit several times and never had any trouble with them. After consulting with a friend who is a professional tree trimmer and uses only Stihl, I decided to buy my own. I just bought the HT75, telescoping unit. An awesome machine.
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I purchased the Husqvarna 326P5X not that long ago and i am highly satisfied with it. Extends to over 13 ft and since i am tall i can reach to about 22 ft high. Bought it at www.northwestpowertool.com for $430.
  7. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Why not just clomb up and trim the tree. That way limbs don't fall on you and you can prune the tree properly. Otherwise, STIHL makes an awesome product.
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If you are just limbing up a tree its so much easier to pull out the pole saw and cut the limbs instead of putting on all the safety gear to climb, and its especially nice for the people who are afraid of heights and dont like to climb trees. Why cant you properly prune limbs with a pole saw?
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I only take out my power pole pruner about once per month.

The manual saw is still one of my favorites.

Fanno or ARS blades mounted with a hook.

I got my poles - snap-together - from TREE TOOLS in Lake Oswego, Oregon.

The fiberglass poles come in 8' sections with aluminumn ends. Those can be cut down to any length desired.

My truck bed is 6' long, so I keep three 6' poles with one 4' one. That's 22' of reach above my outreached arms (at 8' ), not to mention adding an orchard ladder.

The poles are cheap - maybe $25 each.

Ideally, I think the best combo is two 8' and one 4'. That allows for every 4' increment of length up to 20' of pole and saw.