pole pruners stihl vs echo

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by AWILLIAMS64, May 31, 2013.

1. AWILLIAMS64

AWILLIAMS64 LawnSite Member

I have several lawn customers asking me to trim trees away from their house, over their driveways etc. I am not in the tree business, but this will be a way to make more money on jobs i already have. I am trying to see if anyone has experience with the stihl ht101 and the echo ppt-266. Look very similar except stihl has a little bigger motor..Same price to buy, except i can get some discounts on the echo, around $100 off. any advice?

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl is high quality. Echo is lower

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Owned both but have all Stihl now. I had the HT130 once, which was the HT101. Dealer said the insides of shaft are delicate & to not be jerking the shaft if it gets hung up while cutting. The inside guts of shaft eventually rusted up from water getting in. I still have the powerhead sitting in storage lol.

I currently use the Kombi 110 power head with two extensions poles & the saw attachment. Stihl recommends only using one extension but hey, it works for me though it is heavy. I keep all that in my king cab truck out of the weather.

I also use the PP 800. At $250 its a great setup. It extends 19" plus my height of 6.6", it has quite the reach and it weights in at (5) lbs. Its worth the $.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbeRPu5MIA