pole prunners

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cebe800, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

Anyone have a opinion on the different pole pruners. I was looking at the stihl and silky. Which 20 ft. pole pruner has the least amount of flexibility in the shaft.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used either one, but I will say this- the Silky will have a MUCH better saw than anything Stihl will ever even *think* about putting on their's.

If I had the $$$ to buy a Silky pole saw, that's what I'd get.
  3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we use john deere always starts and easy to handle
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You are talking about a *power* pruner. What he was asking about were pole pruners.
  5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

The Silky Hayauchi is THE top of the line product. The only thing it won't do is reach higher than 21 ft. If you need more height than that, you'll have to go with sectional poles.

I've had one for a couple of years now and adore it. The oval handle design keeps it from turning unexpectedly in your hands and the lock/unlock mechanisms can be used while wearing gloves.

Bite the cost bullet and you won't regret it.
  6. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your opinions. Kate how rigid is the pole? Does it flex a lot when fully extended?
  7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl and it does a great job - still very stable at full extension . It surprised me how well it did. Never used a silky , but I would assume more expensive ?
  8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I have yet to find a problem with pole-flex. I suppose if you fully extended it and held it at 45 degrees you'd have problems: seems like the more vertical you can be while cutting, the more straightforward and quicker the cut will be.

Another thought.... I've had pole saws in the past that were not compact enough (when collapsed) to fit easily in an 8' pickup bed. The Silky will fit easily without having to be angled across whatever load you're carrying.
  9. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

thank you very much your help was greatly appreciated
  10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the silky, I've had both and are using the silky hayate. The silky feels more solid and the blade is better. The blade is thicker and stays sharper longer. I have the longest one and it will reach almost 24ft. If you do alot of pruning it is well worth it. They are expensive though I paid close to $275 for it, but don't regret it one second.