Pole saw questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Nov 16, 2002.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking to buy a new pole saw next week for a large job coming up. What brand would ya'll recommend, I like Husky chainsaws, but fell out with the Husky dealer. My Stihl dealer is great on service, but high on price. Thinking about going to Alamia on-line and getting a Husky, but it's not extendable. I don't think I'll need the extra reach, but you never know what you may run into. I need advice, thanks.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Stihl that is not extendable. I really like it. Echo and Stihl both make pole saws that extend, considerably heavier though and akward. I figured if I had to reach a branch, I'd get a ladder or if it required more than that I will not do the job. Keeps me safe.

My Stihl pole saw came as a pole saw, but I can put different attachments on the end. I have 2 different hedge trimmer attachments that go on it as well. Works very well.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Echo extendable is about $595 plus tax, could get it for $550. Dealer that sells both echo and stihl said to go with the echo. I can rent it for $40. Renting is the way to go if you don't have much use for it.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought the split shaft pole saw for my Stihl FS85RT. This is just like the straight shaft trimmer with a pole saw head but you can take off the lower shaft, and switch to another tool in a few seconds.

Anyway I bought this for a large trimming/ clearing job I had lined up. The vines and stickers were so tall and thick I had to use this to reach in under the bottom and cut off these things without getting poked. The Stihl worked flawlessly!!!

If you have ever used a large chainsaw to clear brush (like around the base of a tree) you know that the chain will get thrown off in no time. Well the Stihl did not throw a chain once and I was swinging it like a mad man.
    I actually mounted the head side-ways and was swinging it back and fourth like a string trimmer to clear this jungle.

I cut branches up to 4" diameter along with the other weeds, vines, stickers, and the blade stayed sharp all day long.

Pretty sweet tool.

I did make one modification which allowed the weed, and wood chips from clogging the unit. Simple mod and if you buy one I can send a picture to you.....might not be necessary in normal application? Then again i think it might.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have a power pruner, which I believe was taken over by Echo or made by Echo or something like that ... It extends to I believe 12 feet or so. It's nicly balaced when collapsed, but fully extended is a bit awkward, you have to really position yourself to handle it. But it speeds up the job so much it's worth the extra effort...
  6. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I have been checking around and found an Echo srm 2400sb trimmer with the pole saw attachment for $495.00 on Alamia. I think a comparable Stihl set-up, bought at my local dealer would be much higher. I've decided that a trimmer with a split boom and the added attachments will be the better choice for me, than a dedicated pole saw. Does anybody know approximately what a Stihl split-boom trimmer with the pole saw attachment comparable to the Echo set-up would cost? I've never used Echo equipment before, are they as good as Stihl or Husqvarna?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo Power Pruner is the way to go. It has a longer reach and a slightly larger bar (12" compared to 10") than the Stihl, and a more user friendly handle (loop) setup. The horsepower is just a tad bit more, and there are extensions that are optional for it. The thing pays for itself quickly.
  8. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I've used both Stihl and Echo pole saws. Spend an extra $80 or so and get the Stihl as there's no comparison. The echo has less power and I find the controls - especially the throttle safety latch - to be really uncomfortable on any cut that your arms aren't fully extended making.
    If money is tight the echo will do the job - the Stihl is just a better saw. No matter which saw you end up getting, you'll know you've done something after a few hours holding that saw up high.