1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pole Saw Questions

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Thunderhead, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, anybody know what is a good pole saw? I'm looking to buy one but don't wanna break the bank. It won't be used too terribly much. But I don't want one that's not gonna hold up either.
    My local dealer sells RedMax and Tanaka but they are expensive. Especially the RedMax. I don't know anything about Tanaka but my RedMax hand held blower has been awesome for 5 years and still going strong as ever.

Are the Poulan Pro pole saws any good? What about Echo?
    I'm just not sure. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ROS_Grounds

ROS_Grounds LawnSite Member

We use everything Echo... will be adding a pole saw this year.
    We have found Echo warranty to be unreal... one of my guys (in a moment of brilliance, got a pull string from the hoodie he was wearing in the fly wheel of our brand new hedge trimmer shredding a couple parts to nothing and they repaired it no charge within 36hrs)
    Warranty aside, they only use commercial grade engines and they seem to last and are a great price.

3. properlandscaping

properlandscaping LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 128LDX 28cc 10-Inch Detachable Pole Saw is a good 'occasional' use saw. I have about 20 hours on mine and it runs just fine. Not as much power as an echo or RedMax but half the price. I bought mine new off of Amazon for $249 (free shipping to my door). Started on second pull right out of the box

4. Tree2Tree

Tree2Tree LawnSite Member

Unless you have a lot of cutting to do, i'd buy a high quality non power pole saw over a 10" pole saw any day. if you insist on a power pole, i'd look into a multi tool/ kombi system so you can use it for a trimmmer ect.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Sthil 131 pole saw best pole saw out there
    We had a twister come thru and the pole saw paid for its self in one day

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one a non power pole saw after getting the 131 saw the non power just sits

7. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl 131 or a kombi system with a saw attachment.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Do not buy the poulan pos!!!

9. Tree2Tree

Tree2Tree LawnSite Member

We are opposite our power sits, if its more then the few cuts that you can comfortable do with the silky, the tree is getting climbed. For landscapers & use the power does have its place

10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Echo PPT-265 or PPT-280. Bada$$ saws, will get work DONE!

Once you get a power saw, you will NEVER go back to a hand pole saw.