Pole Saw - Telescope or Fixed - Stihl vs Echo vs Husqvara

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IHusky, Jul 5, 2007.

1. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

I need a new pole saw. Which one, telescoping or Fixed. Was thinking Echo or Stilh or Husqvara. I had a John Deere ( PS2683LE). I would think that the telescoping would get a little heavy, but should I get a telescoping one for longer reach and deal with the xtra weight????? Or get a fixed shaft and not be as tired after using???? Looking to stay around $500. Opinions please.:dizzy::dizzy: :hammerhead::cry:

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought the Stilh pole that goes out to 16' I believe. I also bought the harness that you wear that will let you balance the pole saw without torquing your back out.

I do love the 4stroke motor from Stilh. It sounds like a small motorcyle with a deeper rumble than the other 2 stroke machines.

It starts nice, has good torque and with the harness, I was pruning 16' up with no problem. Remember to wear full helmet protection with face shield and kevlar pants for protection!!

:)

3. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a husky you will love it. I have 2 of the telescoping model. No problems after 2 years.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Well, Husky doesnt have a telescpoing model but... Buy what will work for you most of the time. The teloscoping models get heavy, I think, for the most part. It really depends on what you do most!

5. IHusky

Thats what I thought, Husky does not make a telescoping model...they have the one that is in two pieces and you join them together, like my old Deere. NMS0219, is that the one you have. I think I will get a one piece that does not telescope, don't want he added weight.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the biggest longest Echo and man that is the best tool we ever bought. We had a major tree job over the winter where we had to trim up 85 trees on a homeowners association common property. All branches were cut from the ground....many were around 4to 5" in dia.....We ran a 12" and 6" chipper and one cut guy kept them going.

7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Huscy ... they are the way to go.... we use them on the golf course ... can not beat them... we use all huscy now!!!!

8. IHusky

I went with the Echo PPF 210 fixed shaft for $410 out the door, I think this was exactly what I am looking for, not to heavy and the price was right. I just think the telescoping ones would have gotten to heavy for me and I don't really do that much tree work. Thanks for all that replied.

9. RM n WS

RM n WS LawnSite Member

I have a stihl telescoping pole saw. Great tool. I would never buy one that didn't extend. You can reach in and cut or reach up and cut much more safely. Mine has lasted 3 years with no repairs needed.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With the harness there isn't much weight....you hold it up straight until you get to the tree than put the chain tip on the limb.....I am 64 and did three three trees last year....no big deal.