Pole Saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We are getting a pole saw and considering a Stihl 4 mix or a Echo 260. The Stihl is $600 and the echo is $450 because its been marked down. We will be cutting some thick limbs and we want a machine that will be powerful and last a long time. Which do you think we should get? Which one weighs less?

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Travis, I am in the same boat, I need a power pole to trim palms, anyways, My dealer has the echo....260...the biggest engine model for $530 and the shindawia for $460.00.

I checked both models out and the shindawai is a lot lighter, but you have to connect the two pieces, where the echo telescopes. The echo is pretty heavy, but it looks like a solid piece.

I am between both models, I am not interested in Sthils, but if you get the echo, let me know how you like it. thanks SY

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I would get the cheaper 1 in price.

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

The stihl 4 stroke will cut through some big stuff. I have cut branches the size of the bar and never ran short on power. I did however have the ignition fail on mine, after about 10 hours of use. Stihl fixed it for free however.

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

has the new stihl 4 mix and I agree w/ wanabe the thing will cut through about anything very happy w/ it it didnt take long to pay for itself just trim
    ing branches. for people now have to figure a way to mount and have it locked on my trailer

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yard, I was trying to figure the same thing. I think I have come up with something but, I have not tried it yet. What I was thinking was to get a single place trimmer holder most likely from Green Touch and mount that on the side opposite of your racks if you have them. The reason I say use a green touch rack is because of the size of the shaft it self it's much larger than your standard trimmer or stick edger shaft. This is just an idea that's been tumbling around in my brain since I bought mine you may find something easier. If you do find a better way please let me know because I want to have a place for it when I buy a new trailer.

Rob

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm leaning toward the Echo. It extends out 1' further than the Stihl, echo claims their flex star shaft system transmits over 70% more torque to the gearbox, only weighs less than 1 lb more than the Stihl and is $150 cheaper. Other than that the features and warranty are comparable.

8. yankeeyardworks

yankeeyardworks LawnSite Member
    from 04032

i have the echo works great no complaints..i put mine in my three trimmer holder [greentouch] fits perfect.. you can also buy an extension for the echo..i have cut some pretty big oak limbs to....no problem at all

9. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

i have the stihl i love it never had any problems wit there products

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Travis, I have the Echo that don't extend, I forget what the model is. anyway, my wife got that for me then later got me the 3 foot extention,
    that alone is a long reach, it runs excellent and performs great, I wish it was the extendable but, it does do the job.
    anyway as far as carrying it I have a 3 place trimmer trap rack and I put it on the bottom loop, then I have a Y mounted to the rail about 5 feet back on the rail, the head sits right behind the Y, if I'm going any distance I wrap a strap around it so it wont bounce.