Pole Saws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Jul 7, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking into a pole saw. Actually a Stihl FS 85 with a saw attachment, i have one 85 already and got the trimmmer attachment. pretty impressive. now im getting another 85 and the saw attachment so I have a backup trimmer and so i dont have to keep changing the heads. any input would be appreciated

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a stihl pole saw. Not the attachment kind, just the regular pole saw, but either way you go you will never regret it. They come in useful all the time.

3. i have the HT75. i gotta say that i honestly love the thing. its great for down on the ground. cause it eliminates a lot of ladder work, and also you dont have to putz around with a hand powered pole saw. also for up in the tree it is nice too. however its a bit expensive to drop out of there.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I bought one of the ECHO pole prunners with the 5' extension when they first came out. One of the best tools I own. Last year I bought the hedge trimmer head and now I can reach 17'+ from the ground. NO more messing with the ladder.

Gene

5. I just bought that same thing. An FS85 plus the trimmer & pruner attachments. I aready owned an FS80, but the '85 has an extra clutch disc to handle the attachments.
    I've only used the pruner once, and I like it.
    Like you I figured to use the FS85 for Pruning&shrubs, and the other for grass. But the head change proved to be so easy, I just leave the FS80 at home and just carry the extra heads. But then, I don't change heads every day and I needed the extra room on the truck.
    Dave

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I'm in the market for a pole saw myself. I'll probably go with the Redmax or Shindawa. Both brands work good for me plus plenty of dealer support. The only dealers around me that sell Stihl are the equipment rental places.

7. if you are gonna buy one, get either an stihl, which i have and love, or maybe check out one of those echo ones. but make sure that you get a pole saw that has an extension built in. so that way if you need that extra foot of reach all you have to do is turn a nob and pull out what you need. instead of putting on another whole 5 feet. i have a friend with the echo power head and the multi tool thing, my pole saw is much better than his, because of the reach, and i think the power too.

8. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I bought the Echo this year. it has built in ext. up to 15' I think.
    I got the articulating hedge trimmer attatchment with it also,,,,That thing is a killer. Unit weight is 25lbs and I believe all of it is at the end of the ext.
    The pole pruner part is heavy but not hard to use, just watch out for falling Limbs.
    Dennis

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the Stihl FS-85 with the power scythe, hedge trimmer and pruner attachments. The saw's great for high trimming. Just be carefull not to get it pinched, while cutting a branch thats out of reach.

10. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We use the sthil, and its great, we have used thing for odd jobs and hard to reach places. It comes in handy all the time when you least expect it. It carried a heavy price tag at about 640$$ but well worth the loot if you ask me.