Pole Saws

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by bce086, Jun 17, 2014.

1. bce086

bce086 LawnSite Member

Do you guys use a pole saw for limbing higher branches? Do you stand on a ladder with a chainsaw? Do you outsouce this work?

I'm looking for a good pole saw, and wanted to know which ones people have had a good (or bad) experience with?

Cetain things to look for when buying?
  2. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

Standing on a ladder with a chainsaw is a good way to end up on YouTube. Or worse.

Silky makes nice stuff for pruning. Otherwise a stihl 131 power pole saw works well for taking trees down.
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the best money I've got ever spent was for a stihl pole saw.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you calling "higher"? A Silky has much more reach than a Stihl pole saw, but is much slower going.
  5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

A little late to the thread but I like Silky for a pole saw and have had an echo ppt 260 power pruner for about 13 years and only replaced a few fuel lines and the bar. Granted, I don't use it daily but my helper has a similar echo and it's a great power pruner. He uses his daily.
    The Silky is great and can reach about 18-20 ft depending on the model. The japanese steel is superior to most other blades I've tried and the oval shape of the shaft lends to better stability. It is NOT for use around power lines, though, but for everything else it works great and the hayauchi has a little hook and blade on the tip for pulling vines or grabbing a stuck branch.

Silky makes a hand saw that has an excellent scabbard. It's awesome quality. I have tried Jameson and Corona but the Silky has been the best.