Police checking me out while doing clean up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Feb 8, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Doing a leaf cleanup the other day at a church & after being ther about 6 hours. I walk up toward my truck & see a sheriff's car. Lady officer asks if I'm "by my self". I say yes & she asks me for my ID. I almost told her yea it's right there on the side of my box truck in big letters. But I gave it to her & asked if there was anythin wrong. She said no, we just have had a lot of break ins in the area , especially at churches. (which is true from what I always read in the paper). She runs my ID & says thanks & still....checks to make sure the doors to church are locked & everything.
    While I realize she was just doing her job it still pisses me off after working like a dog for 6 hours & then get the 3rd degree from the Police.
    Another thing was my truck was full & I do not know how much "loot" I could have stuffed in there. I even told her I'd be more worried about someone stealing my equipment than breaking into a very small church with nothing more than chairs & tables & pews to steal.
    Anyone else have this happen?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

last year I had a sherrifs officer follow me from my house to a place of business that I had to do for snow removal. He pulled up beside me and I rolled down my window and he asked me what I was up to, and I said snow removal. He was pretty nice about it after that making conversation with me, and asking me about the snow storm, etc. But the funny thing was, where I parked at for the commerical business, was right next beside the city police station. I mean like only 25ft away.

3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I will assume you had a plow on the truck you were driving? If so what a stupid cop! I had a cop give me a bunch of crap because I was behind a commerical building that I do the maintenance for shutting off the timer. He asked why I was playing with the timer and I told him I was shutting it off. He then says thay it was not on to begin with! I then told him that it was suppose to go on in the morning and I was going to do some work there in the morning and I don't want the ground to be wet when I do so I am adjusting the timer so It will not water in the morning. The part that really ticks me off was the fact that I had a mower sitting next to me and I had my truck and trailer right in the middle of the parking lot.

4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I had an experience last summer. A cop pulls up behind me in this neighborhood. I do 8 yards right next to each other.
    So he has his lights on and the whole nine yards. I get out like Im gonna go to work and ask whats up?
    He said that I fit the description of someone who robbed a construction vehicle the night before.
    Construction guys are stupid too. They left an entire enlcosed trailer at the house they were building over night with cheasy lock on it. Of course Mr. Theif steal everthing.
    So I ask such cop what the description was, he says a white pickup truck. And asked him who said that, he says the homeowner accross the street.
    I then say do you have any clue how many white pickups there are? He says, no.
    I say its the standard norm color of fleet trucks and you better pull over every white truck in the area.
    Then he asks if he can search my truck and trailer, I say go ahead and stood there until he was finished. He then says I can go to work cause this will take a while. I said, no way. He asks why? I say cause I dont trust you guys one little bit.
    That kinda pissed him off. I then told him why would I rob in the same neighborhood I work in and then told him that I get 200.00 a month for each house so he did the simple math and said, wow that 1600 month for 8 houses.
    So another one showed and they were all done rummaging through my stuff so I started up the Dixie Chopper and blew grass all over their cars.. :D

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

When they ask to search your stuff tell em to F OFF and come back with a warrant. If you have nothing to hide (I'm sure you don't) then they can kiss your butt. They should have no right to search your truck and waste your time like that. Bullcrapa.

6. lawnguyland

Oh wait, these days they'll just say "terrorism" and grant themselves the power to search anyone at anytime they want. Thanks again Bush.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I thought they dont need a warrant if they have Probable Cause? Sure It wasnt probable cause, but think about it from their end. They dont know that white trucks are standard, and they see yours, so he simply pulls you over to take a peek.

Ya its overkill on his part, but still, thats life.

Again, maybe a cop or someone else on the board can fill me in, but if they have probable cause, doesnt that authorize them to search something without a warrant?

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, make them get a warrant!

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

WOW! Some really idiotic posts in this thread. But it's these same guys that will cry the loudest when they want a cop to find their stolen equipment. :rolleyes:

10. lawnguyland

Oh, ok then. It's called the constitution foolish one.