Police Officers on this board, please read!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Nov 2, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Hello all, GO BUSH on this fine tuesday. Anyhow, im 16, i have my own lawncare and landscaping business, i manage anywhere from 35-50 lawns a week depending on growth. but obvisouly the season is coming to an end....

Anyways, im 16, a junior in HS, and im thinking about doing landscaping/lawncare for a career and being sucessful in this business, sense im 16, in about 10yrs my name would be out their for a while and i would be a reputable company.... but ive always wanted to be a police officer. Anyways, what would you guys reccommend? I was talking with my brother and a few of his freinds who are in thier late 20's, and they've told me that alot of police officers get sued, that Criminals have more rights than officers and it'll be worse if kerry takes over, and that i would be a bad officer because im so hot headed that i would probably end up beating the crap out of people when they be a smartass, and get sued. lol. anyway, is any of this true? Im thinking about being a Grosse Pointe, Saint Claire Shores, or Sterling Heights Cop, but the thing with those is that on top of being an officer you have to be an EMT or Fire person, something with Public Saftey? And the acedmey is pretty difficult because you have to be a officer and a fire fighter or emt too. Or, the other option is to be a detroit cop for 3 years and then transfer to be one of those cops in the above 3 citys. I was also told that in the one of the grosse pointes, their were 150 accplicants and only 3 got the job, but then again the GP officers make 100k, same with sterling heights, and around 70 for SCS. Then I was thinking of being a state trooper, but then i was told that the acedemy is extremly hard. But do they make good money?

Anyways, what im asking, what would you guys reccommend? How do you guys manage the lawncare/landscaping business along with being an officer. And is the stuff true, as far as getting sued, criminals having more rights than officers, and if Kerry gets elected officers along with white people will have less rights?

Im just trying to figure out what i want to do for a career. Thanks for reading this post and thanks in advandce.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

premier--why do you want to be a cop?

an honest answer to this would be helpful to those that might respond.

GEO

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

im not really quite sure, ive just really liked it, and recently ive just been looking into other options. i like landscaping and all, but i like the idea of ALWAYS getting a paycheck, whereas with the landscaping and whatnot there are slowmonths... i was also thinking, being a cop, saving money to open up a landscaping business with good equipment, truck, etc. like be a cop, save money so i cant get all new equipment, then when im 30 open up the landscaping part and see how that goes and possibly not be a cop anymore. im not really sure what i want to do, im just looking at other possibilitys. Another possibility would be going into the army, not sure what i would do after. Then i was thinking about being a teacher, but i dont think i would want to deal with kids.

Or i could just stick with my original plan, stay in the business, finish up HS, then go to MSU for college for something in business and horticulture, and have someone else run my business while im at MSU, then when i graduate ill have all the knowladge to expand the business that much more.

But, basically, i always wanted to be a cop? why you ask? im not sure. i just like the action, i like giving back to people and always liked that idea of being a cop.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You should become a firefighter instead.

6. One recommendation I have for your near future:

Don't miss any English/Lit/Writing classes.

:waving:

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

whys that? i really wouldnt want to. i wouldnt want to be in that kind of heat. ya in GP, SCS, and Sterling heights you have to be either an EMT or Firefighter ontop of a cop, but what are the odds you would have to use it?

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

what are the odds you would have to use those professional services? Mark, stay in school buddy, you have a lot of work to do. Chalk your mistakes up to being naive

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DAILY...Duh that's why they are called Public Safety Officers instead of just police officers :dizzy:

Also that thing about those town's officers making a $100K a year......NOT!!

10. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

idk, because their a few people in my school whos fathers are PSO's and they live in 200-300k homes, pay high taxes, and they have kids, and the moms stay at home.

well the thing i said about the heat, i wouldnt mind that, its just you dont know what you might find in the burning object.

i would like to be a PSO but again, i heard criminals have more rights than officers, and alot get sued, plus im hot headed.