1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Police report: Landscape lighting tumbles toward intersection

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Mar 26, 2011.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

2. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Tree fixture maybe the branch broke?
  3. drewguy

drewguy LawnSite Member
    from D.C.

Or uplight on stake tipped over and just happened to point towards intersection.

Or it was a big ground-mounted PAR 36 doing same.
  4. Utah Landscape Lighting

Utah Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member
    from Lehi

5. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

It could be dangerous. It would feel like driving toward a car running with it's high beams on. PARTICULARLY if it was a PAR 36 which was designed by Mr Edison for Mr. Ford's tractor headlights.

If it's an intersection with a stop sign and the glare was just to the side of the sign it could be very dangerous.

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

"Arrest" that light.
  7. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

I know a single glaring landscape luminaire seems a small problem, easily remedied, and for young and middle aged people it is. For the elderly glare, particularly disability glare, is dangerous. As the eye ages it becomes less able to respond to changes in light levels. What appears to be only an annoyance to a 21 year-old may become blinding for their grandparents and certainly for their great grandparents.

I've written and copyrighted a document on Responsible Landscape Lighting. My work on the document began in cooperation with the IDA - International Dark-Sky Association. You may find it interesting. You will find it on my web site. Go to: <www.WLLD.us/home/responsible.shtml>

In addition, you may want to look at my wife's web site at <http://www.nmlightingdesign.com/topics/index.php> This section deals with the human eye and offers much information that is essential for those who are attempting to learn the practice of landscape lighting. We are designing for the human eye and we must understand how the eye works.

Is this obvious? Apparently not, based on the practice I've seen all over this country.
  8. starry night

I hope no one thought that I was making fun of this situation.
    Mine was a play on words. As a senior myself, I know I don't adjust to bright lights as I did when I was younger.
  9. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Tom, great, great articles from you and your wife. Thanks for your contributions.
  10. starry night

This isn't from Tom's web page. It's from a 2008 thread on this forum that I found while studying the archives.
    It is worth reading now or reading again if you remember it from the first time around.

"What a Dark Sky means to me"
    Once I lived in Vermont... On any cloudless night, with the moon a crescent or less, I could walk out my door, look up and see the Milky Way.

There are more than 6.6 billion people living on the earth today. At least 2/3 of them cannot see the Milky Way. They live in cities, or too close to cities, with poorly designed electric light.

More than 4.4 billion of the inhabitants of our Earth can only see about a dozen stars and the moon. Most of the Earth's residents have no idea of what it means to stand looking up until your neck aches while you try to understand what the magnificence of the dark sky filled with stars is all about.

I believe we, all humanity, are diminished when we are unable to study what creation looks like for ourselves. We grow up with a distorted understanding of how big creation really is. We become adults with no scale to help us gauge how important we are in the universe. We don't understand what big really is; we can't see it anymore.

We no longer dream and wonder the way we did when we saw the stars.

I think we've lost contact with one of the few experiences we share with all who went before us and I think we are much poorer for the loss.

That's why I think it's important there be many places set aside on this earth for parents to take their children to see the Milky Way. If a community decides to be one of those places, I believe we can help them to achieve that goal and still have the opportunity to share our love of light in the landscape.

It's not easy, but nothing that's really worth doing is easy.