Policy on problem branches and limbs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JeffW0011, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find much on it searching. What is your guys policy on branches and limbs that inhibit your cutting around and under trees or make trimming more difficult. Do you just take care of it? do you charge the customer? do you just take it case by case? I don't mind trimming a branch here or there for a good client for free, but I have some problem houses. I am tired of my head being scratched up all the time....How do you guys handle this?

2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Give the customers a price to take care of it, if they dont want you to cut them then
    #1 cut them for free
    #2 deal with it
    #3 get rid of the customer

I have the same problem and normally tell myself I will do #1 but never do so im always stuck with #2

3. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about putting a stipulation in my service agreement next year regarding this.

4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

what i usually do is tell the customer when i do the first walk threw, any branches in my way i will trim for them and it is put in on the bid as the set price they pay...... so from time to time i do trim branches out of my way.......

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I have cut a few, from time to time. I have also told people that they need trimed so we can mow underthem or we are going to start weedeating under them.

There is no reason we should get hit,cut up and have to stop and pick up our hats because people will not trim their trees.

a branch here and there are ok, but the whole tree(s) are a diff. story. IMO

6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I charged if they were alot. If just a few I just moved them beside a tree. It depends on the client. If they are willing to pay go ahead. If not don't. Just be up front with clients.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Cut one or two every time you go out there, might take 5-6 visits, would that help?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No way all that gets done free. We have a strict policy that was developed over time regarding this. A verbal and/or written notice is given to the customer ADVISING the customer that certain low limbs should be trimmed. If this is ignored and the limbs start getting to where they are hindering the operation of mowing (i.e. brushing employees, causing them to duck, or worse yet - causing them to have to use hand or arm to make contact with limbs to avoid injury, etc.), then these areas will be avoided until said problem areas are corrected. Again, a price is given, and the customer has the option.
    When an agreement is made about doing this kind of work,...especially early in the game before they become too much of a problem, this work should be tended to AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. the reason being, is each week it goes unattended, it is causing you more time and hassle. More trim time, and more mowing time. Not only that, but the material just grows every week. There will NOT be less material to remove in a month, then there is now.
    You need to establish what is reasonable maintenance to allow your crew to operate safely and effectively. Obviously, we are NOT going to expect our guys to get down on there hands and knees or bend down and put there face down to a 4 ft. height where debris is being thrown from a string trimmer.
    I hope this helps.