~POLL~ Do you always have a backup mower? ~POLL~

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alexschultz1, Feb 3, 2011.

?

do you keep a back up mower with you

1. yes

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. sometimes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. my back up is my main mower

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly who keeps a back up mower on the trailer at all times? i just cant justify waiting the space in my trailer.

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

3. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont keep a back up mower but I do have a 52", a 48", and a 36" in my trailer at all times and only 2 of them get used on any given property because some properties required a 36" for the backyards unfortunately.

4. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

i am a solo operation for the most part. i use helpers part time as needed. i carry 2 trimmers that accept attachments(always have a backup) 2 blowers(br600 and a handheld) and 2 mowers - a 52" and a 21" on the trailer. the 46" backup stays at the house. if i need it i go get it. i don't need it very often at all so it sits there most all the time. i was thinking about upgrading trailers so i could carry it all, but then i thought about it and my backup has sat under a tarp all last season, so what's the point?

i would really like the 52" and a 36" WB(future purchase) on the trailer and keep the 46" and 21" at the house.

carry on the trailer what you need on a daily basis. but always keep a backup nearby in case of downtime.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I always carry my 21" with me and can finish what I started.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

We carry a 21in, a 36in,and a 52in on the trailer. If the 52 goes down the 36 comes off the trailer to finish the property. Then we will pick up a backup from the shop.

7. what difference does it make, other than another thread to argue about.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I keep a back up mower with me all the time. Its a Toro 36" wb. I do this because of Murphys Law. Murphy has beat the @$#% out of me on several occasions! So I try to be prepared for him.

9. bolc5150

bolc5150 LawnSite Member

yeah i do, it's a 36" wb. Wow, can you imagine going from a 60" to finish a yard on a 36"? My luck, it would be a soccer field with 90% left to do and it's 98 degrees.

10. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Couple of points. I mow a large number of lawns in one area. It takes five days to finish. It is a gated community that requires you to be out by 5pm and you can not work on Saturdays. The mower shop and my house are at least an hour away round trip. I have on many occasions had one machine go down and it is nice to switch mowers without having to pack everything up and pick up another mower. It also helps to have another mower so you can push or pull the other mower in the trailer. Ever tried to push a 1500lb mower by hand up a trailer ramp? My trailer is 20ft long. Space is not a problem. I keep two of everything with me. I do not like down time. Nothing wastes more money then down time.