Poll: Ever have any equipment stolen?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by G.M.Landscaping, Jun 15, 2006.

?

Any equipment stolen?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed many threads latley about stolen equipment. About two years ago my storage garage was broke into and a stihl chainsaw was taken. Twenty other garages were broken into also. It was a self storage place.

So I was curious how many have been affected over the years?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Knock on wood we never have had yet. Lets just hope it stay's that way.

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Had five saws stolen on one job - we went to lunch left the stuff behind the house and when we come back it wasn't there. The customer wasn't a well known one and kinda shady, so I asked him to please open up his garage door and whats sitting there?? My saws :clapping: :clapping:
    I have also had equipment stolen by some of my own workers and could never prove it but knew who did it and they are now succesful tree and landscape guys. It kinda sucks when you are nice to certain guys and then they rip you of and in the long run have a business just as good as yours. :cry:

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been lucky, and have never had anything stolen. Its really fortunete becasue there are many times where I have left stuff where it would be easy to steal.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I've never been broken in to (knock forehead). One day I left some gear on the strip of grass by the street and told my employee to keep an eye on it as I ran back to the shop. Swifty went to work in the back yard and never moved the gear. It grew legs and was never seen again. Echo 3600 saw, Little wonder 30" shears, Birchmeier 5g backpack, and worst of all my 5g pail of hand tools.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Had my first thefts last year, after 10 years in my own business. Brand new Redmax 8000, and an Echo hedge trimmer.

7. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing yet. But I won't say it will never happen, because I'm sure the day will come.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

nothing on the job, but my homes been hit twice while we were gone to work. took everything they could carry both times. the last time my oldest son, who was twelve at the time was home alone. he locked his self in the bathroom with his deer rifle and waited till they left, scary stuff. this is the only bad thing about an isolated home.

9. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had equipment stolen but when I was about 10-12 I accompanied my father to an equipment repair place to pick up a chainsaw which was being fixed. He paid while I took it out to the car. The trunk was locked so I returned inside to get the keys. In that short time, maybe 60 seconds, someone stopped took off with the saw. My dad was pretty pissed off. Not only did he have to pay for the repairs his $300-$500 stihl saw was stolen. I still feel bad about that.

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Luckily never, but I always get nervous when I go to do a back lawn and leave my rig out front.