Poll: GET ME OUT OF MY OCD NIGHTMARE!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by justlawns, Oct 30, 2004.

?

What should I buy?

1. Toro Proline 21" ($1000, ouch)

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Lawnboy Commercial 21" ($800)

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Snapper Commercial 21" ($850)

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Lawnboy silverpro w/ duraforce 2 stroke 21" ($379)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  5. john deere JA65 21" ($539)

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. justlawns

justlawns LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Here's my situation. Brand new. limited funds, but will fork over the dough if needbe. I need a 21" for 20 accounts. will mostly be mulching. Main concerns are reliability and quality of cut. Help me choose which mower to buy! There's so much to choose from I'm giving myself an aneurysm trying to decide. THANKS DUDES

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say DONT get the JD if you are going to be doing straight mulching. Good bagger, poor mulcher.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy two Murrays.
    Crawdad

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

What about Honda? I have read some good posts about them here.

5. cypresslawncare

cypresslawncare LawnSite Member

get the commercial lawnboy !

6. pbillings

pbillings LawnSite Member

I don't mean to sound like an azz, but where is Crawdad Holler?

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Look after the comma, it's in TN.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

justlawns, from a newbie personal experience, i was going through the same thing as you. i was looking at almost the same mowers for trim work and small gated backyards. my obsessing was alleviated when i saw a superstore clearancing the lawnboy silver pro w/ duraforce for $270. i jumped all over it and have been really pleased with it. added a gator blade to it and it does great with the mulching and the engine is damn near impossible to stall. the cut quality is great, especially if you adjust the governor on them to increase the rpm.

i'd absolutely recommend them if budget is tight until you can afford the inevitable 32"+ wb.

tony

9. lottlawncare

lottlawncare LawnSite Member

thanks tony, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with the silver pro too! did you get the push or the self propelled? How do you crank up the rpms? Also, the only thing i was wondering is what kind of wheel marks the staggered wheel system leaves. I like having nice even wheelmarks, how does the 3 wheel pattern look?

10. pbillings

pbillings LawnSite Member

Sorry I asked. Didn't mean to strike a bad cord.